Status
Not open for further replies.

sadmanbarty

footwork was poetically positioned in terms of it's place in dance music history. it's maybe the last genre to emerge before dance music died, so it's neatly cyclical that it comes from chicago. it's also the last genre to emerge from that generation (and that's reflected in a generation talking about it being the last music that they were excited by). it nods (inadvertently) to todd edwards and to jungle while still being routed in chicago. it's all very nice.

house music got this exciting, simultaneously new and retrospective send off that the hardcore continuum didn't get.

sampling, timbaland-indebted rhythms, people doing a funny dance like those breakdancers in covent garden in 1985, jungle's speed, hardcore's nuttiness, garage's vocal choppage.

the memories and sensibilities of a whole generation repackaged and rejuvenated.

on paper it was new. it was unprecedented. but it never felt properly like that. that's the power of a sound world; however novel or innovative you are it contains you within it. it couldn't be truly new because it was comforting, it pointed to the world we were leaving behind.

the last triumphant hoorah of children of the 80's and teenagers of the 90's.

luke sent me this just now:

"But footwork is new in a strange way. It’s not historically new: it dates back to the nineties. And what’s uncanny, unheimlich, about footwork is that practically everything in the sonic palette is familiar. Most of the sounds on Double Cup feel like they could have come from the 20th century, even if they have actually been produced in the 21st."

https://www.electronicbeats.net/mark-fisher-on-dj-rashads-double-cup/

sadmanbarty

r kelly melodies are so wholesome and naive. 'you are not alone' is like a lullaby. this one's so aspirational, like an episode of glee when they graduate and it's all slo-mo as everyone has tears in their eyes. will smith family friendly motivational music.

sadmanbarty

great lyrics on this. proper making the world sound epic. those acid basslines like worms emerging from the ground as elephant man invokes the ills of the world. like that close up of the ear in blue velvet, we go into it to see the darkness.

sadmanbarty

it was a beautiful music. whatever they do to it now, however much they defile it, it really was stunningly beautiful for a couple of years.

sadmanbarty

juice wrld's pegged it too. morbid weekend.

don't know if it's drugs, but there does seem to be this transatlantic will to death.

not a fan, but this is gorgeous.

sufi

lala
https://www.albawaba.com/entertainment/shireen-banned-egypt

internet translation:

Another wound
And my heart just recovered from the first
I go to him again
And my heart remembers the first wound

I made the mistake once of calling something cheap costly
You hurt my heart and the wounds of hearts are costly

Since today there is no sadness, no color
Since today there is no love either
Oh God compensates for the days and nights
Since today there is no friends or loves
Since today the heart is lonely oh time
Oh God compensates for the days and nights

Oh night

You hurt my heart and the wounds of hearts are costly
https://lyricstranslate.com/en/Gar7-tany-Another-Wound.html

version

juice wrld's pegged it too. morbid weekend.

don't know if it's drugs, but there does seem to be this transatlantic will to death.

not a fan, but this is gorgeous.

A few months back people were making TikTok vids of themselves dancing to one of his tunes and pretending to have a seizure... then he dies of a seizure. Eerie.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Not familiar with Juice WRLD's music really, but it's shocking somebody dying so young. Particularly (not justifiably) when they're doing so well, clearly very talented, etc. All snuffed out in a seizure.

Status
Not open for further replies.