Status
Not open for further replies.

sadmanbarty

i remember singing this in a lesson once (not as a proper teacher-ordained performance, just general attention seeking) and everyone in the class couldn't tell if it was sweet and endearing or suspicious. they thought there was a twist. an ulterior reason for the song. not quite sure why.

sadmanbarty

i was in another lesson and i was once again singing (not teacher-ordained, still attention seeking). this time i was singing "may the long time sunshine form you, all love surround you and the pure light within you guide your way on" when the teacher (who looked like a silver haired lord kitchener) yelled from across the classroom "the incredible string band!". he had a real sparkle in his eyes. i'd tapped into something he probably hadn't even thought about in 40 years. reminded him of an old version of himself he'd long since discarded. a free young hippy, not an authoritarian science teacher jaded by decades of seeing bermondsey kids throw their lives away.

it turned out that he was at a friend of a friend's house party back in the 60's and suddenly saw that the girl whose house it was had an incredible string band album. that's how he broke the ice with her and she eventually became his wife (still married when he was teaching me in 2010 or whatever).

Client Eastwood

we've all heard it

something about waking up this morning, maybe the sunshine, the quiet roads, the friday feeling...

... got to work with the urge to hear this - so we here are - i think this might be my first ever cotd entry

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
kenan_sharpe
@BigGlitch1 You're right. Songs like this make Ian Curtis seem like he was positively cheery

may my hands break
for what good are they now?
my youth evaporating, I'm unable to hold onto
God has given me tired feet
I can't catch up with my ([blackened]) fortune

Oh my God, when will this hellfire end
I've fallen victim to days with no tomorrow
I demolished my world with my own hands
I cannot establish a home for my love

Now I am agrieved
and neither fortunate
though my age is young
my heart is old
look at me, for one love
I have become a vale
running abreast of death

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
The exact inverse of the mood today in the UK. I love the timbre of Dave's voice, there's a little of that very English flat effeteness that made Frosty's County Lines so compelling

Corpsey

bandz ahoy

17 years old(!) and has aged like fine something.

Also predated the whole "toxic masculinity" "toxic environment" thing, right? Perfect music for a montage of #METOO monsters.

forclosure

some would say getting back into Magma is a little too on the nose considering the current climate to that i say dont blame me blame the Kobaians

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Will I get raked over the coals for thissun?

I looked this up to post on a chat as a sort of joke about missing ppl cos of quarantine.

Then I ended up listening to it and realising it's actually a sort of mournful, quintessentially 90s masterpiece. I love it when a remix totally improves on an original song cos you can pinpoint with some exactitude where the improvements were made. If you nah what I mean.

Status
Not open for further replies.