Status
Not open for further replies.

luka

Slick Rick is a fascinating outlier in rap history isn't he?

Obviously nobody ever sounded quite like him then or since. (I presume Snoop was influenced by him, hence "Lodi Dodi".)

Also a great what could have been story, perhaps? I don't know how far he fell from grace when he got nicked.

He's been influential on anyone who has that kind of sing song intonation. Plus he had Dana Dane whose intention was to sound exactly like him.

In short, I refute your claims

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Ah I see so Dana Dane was a tribute act/biter.

Still not refuting your assertion but I don't think this proves his influence beyond an outright imitator. I'm sure he was influential though I would be interested in having that traced for me.

Nas I feel may have been influenced by him, actually. Although Rakim seems like the more obvious influence on his early stuff... Right?

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
See that Dana Dane thing proves how individual Slick Rick was to me cos you instantly can tell he's ripping him off.

I feel like we did a thread on here once about imitators.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
He was almost the rap equivalent of the British heel in pro wrestling. Playing up his aristocratic disdain.

Just remembered there was a black "pimp" manager called Slick in WWF back in the day.

Slick Rick had hints of that pimp persona, right? "Treat her like a prostitute".

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
one for corpsey and craner, I met a woman online who reformed me last night and we had twitch sex. i apologise for my protestant stoicism, i have converted to the cult of the smooth.

catalog

Catalog, I think it's fair to say, has the worst taste of anyone who has ever entered these hallowed halls.

I always thought i had impecaable taste but its true that very few people like the things i really like. For me, its less about surface aesthetics and more about meaning

Status
Not open for further replies.