Status
Not open for further replies.

version

Shame it isn't the full thing but EVOL made an acid record last year from 303 samples of famous acid tunes.

version

There's still something otherworldly about this stuff, like a deep space transmission or something rattling around inside a derelict space cruiser. The aural equivalent of Alien. No humanity. Just space, machines and darkness.

luka

There's still something otherworldly about this stuff, like a deep space transmission or something rattling around inside a derelict space cruiser. The aural equivalent of Alien. No humanity. Just space, machines and darkness.

Really reminds me of this classic era of BBC 2 station idents

luka

They looked really good at the time. I don't watch telly anymore but my feeling is that there has been a decline in visual sensibility since then.

version

The Jonathan Glazer ones for Channel 4 a few years back were intriguing. Good colours. Reminded me of the old cryptic PlayStation adverts.

version

I remember seeing this as a kid on TOTP in maybe 2001/2002 and finding it strange to hear someone singing with such a posh English accent. She's almost speaking at times rather than singing. Good tune though. Pops into my head from time to time for whatever reason.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Went to the RA last night to see the Antony Gormley exhibition. I was quite stoned so it really blew me away. Afterwards on the way back I popped into Fopp and they were playing this:

And the rest of definitely maybe, and it was one of those times where you're blindsided by something you're vaguely aware of once loving, and instantly feeling that again.

It's nostalgia, too, ofc. Being thrilled by the very *notion* of cigarettes and alcohol! Not even getting the cocaine reference. My eldest cousin (five year older than me) had a definitely maybe poster on her bedroom wall which we would sleep in when we went up to Liverpool. And that had its mystery and glamour to it too. I'd not even heard them then.

Ultimately it's all about "aggrevaySHIERN"

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I remember seeing this as a kid on TOTP in maybe 2001/2002 and finding it strange to hear someone singing with such a posh English accent. She's almost speaking at times rather than singing. Good tune though. Pops into my head from time to time for whatever reason.

This sort of singing is quite popular now isn't it? Lana Del Ray e.g.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I like this description, it's a probably a sound or an aesthetic that a lot of people go for. Here's another one that gives me that kinda feeling, albeit from a different direction - and with the melody arguably there is more humanity present which ought to undercut it but, I dunno, it gives it a kind of epic blank quality that works for me. Anyone know what it's from originally by the way, I think that this a re-edit of something older?

Last edited:

mvuent

Void Dweller
Prior ages had the Petrarchan sonnet.

We have the Kaytrarchan Songet.

She shimmers like a California sunset
Lady lady, glitters but there's no gold
She carries sweetly infectious magic formulas
I'm so delirious, is she that serious?
Or is she bringing me on, I've been waiting so long

Notice that in the chorus, Jay Kay ceases to make much sense at all:

When this love, foolosophy is killing
Previous illusions that (I'm a love fool)
I had in my mind about you (I'm a love fool)
Seems so true, all the lies you're telling
Tragically compelling and (I'm a love fool)
My love, it means nothing to you
So maybe I'm still a love fool

Ignoramuses might think they spot a weak lyric here. But the title of the song leads us back to Plato - and to the concept of Divine ("platonic love") love emerging from Vulgar love ("shimmers like a california sunset")...

Pausanias, in Plato's Symposium (181b–182a), explained two types of love or Eros—Vulgar Eros or earthly love and Divine Eros or divine love. Vulgar Eros is nothing but mere material attraction towards a beautiful body for physical pleasure and reproduction. Divine Eros begins the journey from physical attraction, i.e. attraction towards beautiful form or body but transcends gradually to love for Supreme Beauty. This concept of Divine Eros is later transformed into the term platonic love. Vulgar Eros and Divine Eros are both connected and part of the same continuous process of pursuing totality of being itself,[4] with the purpose of mending human nature, eventually reaching a point of unity where there is no longer an aspiration to change.[5]

"Eros is [...] a moment of transcendence [...] in so far as the other can never be possessed without being annihilated in its status as the other, at which point both desire and transcendence would cease [...] (84) [5]

It's obvious that at the musically 'heightened' moment of the chorus, Jay Kay's love is also being heightened towards a self-annihilating, logic-less obLOVEian.

And people say LEONARD COHEN is a poet :crylarf:

underrated post. the plato quotations are even properly cited.

version

There's still a lot of Prince stuff which leaves me cold (... mostly the ballads), but I can't deny this one. Instant mood lifter.

version

Every so often there's a split second where I think it's going to launch into Kool and The Gang's Celebration.

version

One of their best -- love that lead, sounds like a dolphin call or something. Someone did a playthrough of Ecco the Dolphin with an all Drexciya soundtrack and that's what I picture now.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I'm sorry but I really must demand more EFFORT here.

At least a sentence or two to explain your choice!

I know I haven't always done this, but this thread is useless if it's just a solid wall of YouTube links that nobody else (not me anyway) is listening to.

well one of ur post-dubstep m8s could create a aggregator whhich automatically makes a weekly playlist, you get the foobar2000 youtube-source plugin, voila you can import the playlist and listen without a youtube window being open.

Full musical communism orgasm.

Status
Not open for further replies.