Status
Not open for further replies.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Hall and Oates must be dons to have done that song and 'I Can't Go For That'.

Need to dig more on them.

SWEET EXORCIST - TESTONE (1990)

Been blowing my mind getting lean and listening to early Warp this last day/night. They all still sound as fresh and new and weird as anything released 26 years later. Is that cos they were ahead of their time or just that there was a finite number of ideas that could ever be explored?

Anyway, love these tunes.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy

Four Tet - Love Cry (Joy Orbison RMX) (2010)

Because i have a soft, spongey, gooey spot for this tune, which I've only just remembered, and its perfect for a sunny day like this'n. This is probably the best thing Joy Orbison has ever done wot I've heard, and actually sounds like the joyful orb of sunlight his dodgy-pun name suggests. (I think of the Tate Modern installation here as much as a real sun.)

luka

I like how transparently this is an homage to early Madonna. Not sure it benefits from the sax at 3:20 though!
Tea you are wrong. It's the sax which takes it over the top. I don't think you understand pastiche aesthetics.
Anyway it's the video which is the real work of art. There's such a deep sadness at the heart of being a middle aged man, so much loss. So much shame. Such humiliation.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I'm enjoying a lot of these selections but I would beg you all to consider appending one or two sentences to your choices cos that will encourage me to listen to it more, and to hear what you're hearing.

Of course feel free to continue posting au naturale if you want. I'M NOT GOD.

luka

sorry. you should listen to that tune cos it speaks to your alienation and sense of yourself as someone special misunderstood and undervalued by society who are all a buncha cunts. its very stirring if you have a personality type like mine.

sadmanbarty

I'm enjoying a lot of these selections but I would beg you all to consider appending one or two sentences to your choices cos that will encourage me to listen to it more, and to hear what you're hearing.

Good idea, I'll retroactively add some commentary. I could write a whole essay on this one:

Luka- It’s Greenwhich

The juxtaposition between the infantile (the bass, use of single clause sentences, non-sequiters, etc.) and the bittersweet (the strings); of course nostalgia for our childhood is often bittersweet.

Similarly there is the (often simultaneous) evocation of both the mundane and the magnificent. On the one hand talk there is talk of pubs and pies and on the other Luka references history, religion and astrology.

These two themes are reconciled as Luka calls on the audience to view our mundane lives with the magical sense of wonder of a child; to see the thames as "sparkling", etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.