Status
Not open for further replies.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy

Quasimoto - Basic Instinct (2000)

This is from one what was one of my favourite albums ever back when I was still buying CDs and using Lynx Africa to compensate for adolescent sex-sweat.

sadmanbarty

there was an afghan refugee who joined my primary school in year 6. He was about 6 foot by the time he was 11 and he couldn't speak much english, but he always used to sing pussycat dolls very tenderly to a rather timid boy named Colin.

craner

Beast of Burden

Sorry, couldn't wait until tomorrow. When this came out Ma$e used to infuriate me. Now I love him! This video, all these years later, is mad, hilarious, endearing. His ultra-laconic, don't-give-a-fuck, soft, rhythmic anti-rapping actually sounds great. The remedial class dancing is fantastic, so entertaining, and you have to conclude that Hype Williams was taking the piss. But the laugh is on him because the anti-cool look looks kind of cool now. I might buy the 97 Ma$e album for the car.

luka

yeah for a lot of us Ma$e, at the time, symbolised everything that had gone wrong (the Fall. Succumbing to market forces and Mammon) but there's been a real turnaround in critical perception. Kayne for what it's worth has always claimed Ma$e is his favourite rapper of all time.
[Verse 1: Ma$e]
Now, who's hot, who not?
Tell me who rock, who sell out in the stores?
You tell me who flopped, who copped the blue drop?
Whose jewels got rocks?
Who's mostly Dolce down to the tube sock?
The same old pimp, Mase
You know ain't nothing change but my limp
Can't stop till I see my name on a blimp
Guarantee a million sales, call it level up
You don't believe in Harlem World, nigga, double up
We don't play around, it's a bet, lay it down
Niggas didn't know me '91, bet they know me now
I'm the young Harlem nigga with the Goldie sound
Can't no Ph.D. niggas hold me down
Cudda schooled me to the game, now I know my duty
Stay humble, stay low, blow like Hootie
True pimp niggas spend no dough on the booty
And then you yell, "There go Mase!", there go your cutie

[Hook: Kelly Price]
I don't know what they want from me
It's like the more money we come across
The more problems we see

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Mainstream rap music just isn't as fun now as it was in the Badboy days. It's true what Luka said cos I remember Puff Daddy being the devil to certain ppl back in the late 90s (not so much to me, being too young to be conscious of the culture wars, I bought "Feel So Good" on cassette :cool:). I always find it funny how under any YouTube video from any era of rap there will be people saying 'this is when rap was good, not like now' - and that includes under puff daddy videos, master p videos, etc. No doubt will be the same under Lil Uzi Vert videos in ten years!

EDIT: Jesus, that exclamation mark. Forgive me father, for I was stoned.

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Spotify's 'Discover Weekly' playlist is great cos it plays me things I would never play, like a Roy Ayers sampling remix of Bjork featuring Rodney P from 1996:

Sounds naff eh? Possibly even SOUNDS naff. But I like it. 🤷

EDIT: You know what definitely sounds naff? 'Naff'.

Very 90s post, this.

craner

Beast of Burden

Italodisco fans consider this a kitsch classic (a bit of a laugh, or an ironic addition to their play list), whereas the French fans (who populate the comments boxes on all versions of this Swedish import) consider it a profound political musical statement and get annoyed by its mistreatment. Who knows what the Italians made of it, but they brought enough copies to take it to No. 1 chart position. I come down somewhere between all these sides, and love it.

Edit: always struck me as a very ZTT product, a bit Propaganda but less lyrically opaque.

Edit: Post-2000 Italodisco fans being a completely different cultural demographic to the 80s Italians who brought the original release, to clarify.

Last edited:

craner

Beast of Burden
Doing another one tonight, but count it as tomorrow's entry.

To dispell all myths, this version is much better than the fabled remix feat ODB which is actually quite sluggish and crap.

It is possible that Luka and I are the only people here who take Mariah seriously.

luka

i was dreaming about this tune as i woke up this morning. a young lad had approached me in a library and wanted to ask about garage cos he was right into it. after talking a while he played this

Status
Not open for further replies.