Status
Not open for further replies.

cwmbran-city

Silly question perhaps (either because it obviously was or obviously wasn't) but was this ever a legit anthem in the rave scene?

Yes or no I still rate it

Almost inspired a thread about the best dance songs to ever be mainstream hits but for now its my COTD

(side note : Baby D's vocalist appears on the first track of the Prodge's 'Jilted Generation' which cemented her voice in my barely pubescent mind as the voice of the mysterious magical world of rave music which I was far too young and suburban to be involved in - see also, later, diane charlamagne as the voice of jungle (leaving aside general levy of course))

LFO - LFO (Leeds Warehouse thingy)

or, if you were my younger brother & his double-dropping White Dove/Dennis the Menace/Lemon & Lime loving floppy hatted mates, this could be heard any time of day/evening/night in his Renault-5 GT-Turbo, :

For older (of course notably wiser) House snobs like meself, by the time the squirrel samples came along, the bpm's had escalated & the quality of drugs had started to slide (eg: the first batches of China Whites, wtF was in them? some industrial strength eastern European psychological warfare hallucinogen run amok after the Iron Curtain came down?), DiY's "Hothead" (which crept out initially as white label pressings in early 92) remains something a bit spethial

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
I'm breaking the rules and posting two, b/c yolo

produced by Tom Moulton, remixed by Patrick Cowley (his earliest record, I think) basically doing a test run for Hills of Katmandu

whispy, shimmering, pulsing hypnotic disco-trance of the highest order

luka

or, if you were my younger brother & his double-dropping White Dove/Dennis the Menace/Lemon & Lime loving floppy hatted mates, this could be heard any time of day/evening/night in his Renault-5 GT-Turbo, :

For older (of course notably wiser) House snobs like meself, by the time the squirrel samples came along, the bpm's had escalated & the quality of drugs had started to slide (eg: the first batches of China Whites, wtF was in them? some industrial strength eastern European psychological warfare hallucinogen run amok after the Iron Curtain came down?), DiY's "Hothead" (which crept out initially as white label pressings in early 92) remains something a bit spethial

the party line here at dissensus hq is hardcore is the zenith of western civilization and house is for hairdressers.

cwmbran-city

I'm breaking the rules and posting two, b/c yolo

produced by Tom Moulton, remixed by Patrick Cowley (his earliest record, I think) basically doing a test run for Hills of Katmandu

whispy, shimmering, pulsing hypnotic disco-trance of the highest order

cheers ears, that avinit

the party line here at dissensus hq is hardcore is the zenith of western civilization and house is for hairdressers.

chuckle-vision, even the gibberish spouted by Mad-P from Top Buzz?

jokes aside, DiY, TONKA, SF's British ex-pat Wicked crew & trans-Yorks/Notts fellows Smokescreen as bastions of hair salon culture?

other House atrocities did doe, even Weatherall is guilty of certain hair crimes (see below)

hqdefault.jpg

thirdform

pass the sick bucket

padraig (u.s.)

bastions of hair salon culture?

I mean not really but kinda, luka's being pithy

at the time, Simon Reynolds et al were fighting for the legitimacy of hardcore (+then jungle) so lines were drawn, much more than they'd be now

p sure most people here would take clattering mentasm chipmunk ardkore >>> whatever Sasha was playing in 92, horses for courses tho

obv there is a ton of fabulous UK house + techno from the early 90s

not too big on Weatherall myself besides the Primal Scream remix which tbf is completely amazing, oh and also Hallelujah w/Oakenfold

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Sasha is one of the worst djs of all time.

i remember listening to the first northern exposure for a while, one of the worst musical sins i committed, right up there with being introduced to the ozric tentacles...

96 fairground happy hardcore is miles better than that shit.

padraig (u.s.)

Sasha is one of the worst djs of all time

it's interesting tho he starts off firmly in the Manchester rave lineage, Mike Pickering + Jon Dasilva, latter Hacienda days

clearly it quickly went dire, but I'd bet his soaring diva acapellas, hands in the air pianos thing was hella fun early on, esp when it was still ruffed up w/ravier bits

different times, seems like you really had to pick sides

nowadays everything gets its critical reappraisal - there was that Italo house comp on Safe Tracks last year. Not my thing but there you go.

I would defend this as proper loved-up hands in the air 1990 piano, tho that's the only Sasha tune I would. obv all the digweed etc is beyond awful

padraig (u.s.)

in that Rave On Manchester spirit, I'm making this my track of the day

Mike Pickering, Simon Topping + Dojo from ACR, and some Dutch people on a killer Latin electro funk proto-house tip, Mark Kamin on the remix

the kinda record that screams Danceteria, Hacienda, Paradise Garage ca. 1983

idk what it was with British people and Latin-inflected avant dance music in the early 80s but it was pretty good

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
it's interesting tho he starts off firmly in the Manchester rave lineage, Mike Pickering + Jon Dasilva, latter Hacienda days

i'm not sure how they did it but they managed to (come 93-94) sever all links with rave music completely.

actually that's one thing i don't get abt simon reynolds' book, he spends quite a bit of time slagging off purist techno but actually with hindsight and access to youtube/mixcloud/soulseek etc we can see that quite a few of the hard techno dudes played at the big raves (mainly outside of london granted.) the purist splits kinda came later, around 95-96 but even then you had dbn, labworks bunker etc still putting out hard acid.

craner

Beast of Burden
Is that true? The tape packs had a mix of later happy hardcore and jungle DJs and producers, but never saw the likes of Dave Clarke or Dave Angel on them, ever. Tape packs = raves. The fact that the fat tape packs went from hardcore/jungle to speed/2-step garage in the provinces totally vindicates the Reynolds thesis. I observed this from Swansea to Leeds to Cardiff during that time.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Is that true? The tape packs had a mix of later happy hardcore and jungle DJs and producers, but never saw the likes of Dave Clarke or Dave Angel on them, ever. Tape packs = raves. The fact that the fat tape packs went from hardcore/jungle to speed/2-step garage in the provinces totally vindicates the Reynolds thesis. I observed this from Swansea to Leeds to Cardiff during that time.

there were techno tapes yes.

check universe, dreamscape, helter skelter, dance planet, club kenetic etc.

Dave Clarke no, dave angel, colin dale/faver, easygroove, dj producer, a couple with beltram, cj bolland, there's even a mayday obsession one, believe it or not...

thirdform

pass the sick bucket

would like to hear some of those provincial 2step tapepacks.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
anyway my choon of the day is:

check it at 3m.

this one is also sick.

badass cosmic arabic classical guitar+tight rhythm section+synths.

i want dance music to sound more like this in 2018.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.