Status
Not open for further replies.

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
an apposite place for this (again)

So three days into the edit, I get a call that Ghost had had been kicked out of like eleven hotels, and I’m like, ‘Why were you kicked out?’ He’s like, ‘I don’t know man, I got fucked up, and I just start breaking shit. Can you come get me? I got no place to stay.’ So I let him stay at my house. Suddenly my phone rings, and it’s Steve Rifkind, ‘Whats going on?’ I go, ‘Nothing, I’m just bringing Ghost over my house ’cause he got kicked out of the hotel.’ Then there’s silence on the other end of the phone. I say, ‘Whats wrong?’ He goes, ‘I gotta call you back.’ Five days later, he calls me up and goes, ‘Are you okay? Oh my God, you scared the shit outta me, man. How can you let this guy stay at your house? I don’t even let these guys know where I live!’ I go, ‘What do you mean? He’s the nicest guy in the world.’ He goes, ‘You don’t know what Ghostface has? He hallucinates, he hears voices like kill your mom, kill your mom. He has to be medicated because he has homicidal thoughts.’ So a month goes by, and I would edit all day, and Ghost would just chill at my house until we finished. A month later, I’m with my girlfriend in the backyard, and the cat starts going fucking crazy and starts digging into the dirt. We dig up a bucket of fried chicken. Ghost buried a bucket of Kentucky Fried Chicken in the backyard. How fuckin’ freaky is that?

shame this story comes from Brett Ratner, recently exposed as a sexually aggressive creeplord

craner

Beast of Burden
craners got thousands dotted throughout the forum, waking up in fear after a few bottles of hardys corner shop red and deleting everything

Probably some of my greatest posts, too.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
one of my all-time favorite freestyle tracks, right up there w/Let the Music Play, Fascinated, So Tell Me Tell Me, etc. IMO it shits all over the better-known Funky Little Beat.

really like how it combines boogie, electro, synthpop, and freestyle elements, while still retaining serious Latin percussion (Miami!). unusually for freestyle, vocal side is p good too.

like all Connie's stuff, produced by Amos Larkins II, aka the primary sonic architect of Miami bass.

also another pre-rave dance music ecstasy reference

padraig (u.s.)

freestyle is actually one of the few 80s scenes that has yet to be totally vultured by reissue labels

tbf you have wade through endless terrible dross to find the handful of gems

+ Miami freestyle is definitely the best freestyle for me

luka

i downloaded everything i could in the early '00s and i can vouch for the dross quotient. also only genre that can rival uk garage for terrible vocalists

padraig (u.s.)

only genre that can rival uk garage for terrible vocalists
idk man I think freestyle outdoes it. ukg has some legit diva types (or samples thereof) mixed in w/the boy/girl next door types. freestyle vocals range from mediocre to terrible.

luka

the vocal science of "I Wonder If I Take You Home" had already primed me to get shivers off of garage even before it happened

padraig (u.s.)

I will say UKG has waaaay more tunes. even if you limit it to 2step.

there are probably less than 50 actually good freestyle tunes. virtually everything after it loses the electro elements (ca. 90 or so) is unlistenable.

the best freestyle tunes are almost always the ones that verge on something else, electro, boogie, hi-NRG, etc

padraig (u.s.)

o ya the Latin Rascals, Omar Santana, Carlos Berrios, etc don't get nearly the kudos they deserve, even after decades of Freddy Fresh etc evangelism

all the chopped up chipmunked vocals have to be a big influence on nuum musics, directly or indirectly

I remember hearing this after having heard plenty of ardkore etc + being like whaaat

padraig (u.s.)

in true freestyle fashion that's not actually a freestyle proper track but you totally could play it next to Shannon, Nayobe - Please Don't Go, etc

luka

remember that huge latin rascals article that went online a few years ago? think it was part of a tape culture series. dont like much music journalism but that was a great read.

padraig (u.s.)

no I didn't see it, would be interested

definitely a fascinating era, pretty astounding what those guys were able to achieve with razor edits.

lots of interesting crossover w/electro, post-disco + boogie, later on early garage house, as well as electro/bass in Miami

Status
Not open for further replies.