Status
Not open for further replies.

luka

The tape would be rocked back and forth over the tape head to find the precise edit point, which would be marked with a white pencil. The tape would then be released from the machine heads and then run through an editing block which would hold it in place and allow it to be sliced by a razor which would be guided by a perpendicular groove. This isolated piece would then be spliced together with another piece of tape and this process would be repeated over and over, resulting in the final “edit.”

Most of the records that were edited were produced with a sequencer on a fixed tempo grid, so an editor would have to make sure the tempo of his edits matched it. The start of a single bar would be marked on the tape and the distance to the next marked bar would be measured. Using a calculator, the distance in millimeters for 1/4 notes, 1/8 notes and 1/16 notes could be determined. This process, also known as “bullet editing,” was incredibly time-consuming and involved a great deal of imagination. Hearing a new edit, the way it distorted time, was thrilling. Watching these edits play on a reel-to-reel machine, with the myriad of taped-together sections flying by one after the other over the tape heads, was spectacular.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
actual COTD for me. prob well known to Italo freaks but new to me.

stupidly good instrumental edit (by original producer) of an already great Latin disco track from Italy

padraig (u.s.)

more early Luther Vandross

some other songs on the record showcase him more, but this one is my favorite on account of the extreme (disco) funkiness

a little too much rocked out guitar to really be smooth but fortunately as you may know I also enjoy rockin' guitars

padraig (u.s.)

great mid 80s electro boogie that combines vocoders, stuttering electro percussion, and heavy Prince/MPLS influences with a timeless sweet melancholia

Corpsey

bandz ahoy

The beautiful naivety of the neptunes RNB beats - a 16 bit video game naivety of sorts

I can never describe it but I love it

Status
Not open for further replies.