Status
Not open for further replies.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
"gumba fire" podcast
ya I'm familiar. that's one of the two big compilation that's come out recently. some definite tunes on there, the Condry Ziqubu for one.

this is the other one, covering a bit later the bubblegum->kwaito transition. they're v complementary despite being on different labels.

there's a crazy amount of bangers. seems the reissue/digger market has only really scraped the surface, admittedly usually the v cream of the crop.

Rush Hour is definitely at the reissue forefront, as well as Invisible City Editions (great label btw)

another big Condry Ziqubu tune

husband/wife team that made a couple killer albums while in exile w/top U.S. (L.A. area I believe) session players - this slow jam goes out to craner

padraig (u.s.)

some time this weekend I'll c+p this into a new thread with some further thoughts

v interested in stylistic origins - I'm not super familiar w/mbaqanga or its creolized cousin jive which I think link's mbaqanga to bubblegum + kwaito

also interested in how music scene, production, marketing, etc dealt/interacted with apartheid, haven't heard anything that seemed overtly political (not possible, I'd guess)

there was also a (somewhat whiter) more straight up boogie/post-disco/italo scene closer to contemporary international trends that produced some good records

I've always thought Nigeria was undisputed champ of African pop but I'm beginning to think S.A. is a serious challenger at least for the 80s

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
1 more cos it's been awhile
normally I'm v much on the stripped down proto-house side of Italo v. the naff heavily accented cheesy vocal side, but this...I mean have two ears + a heart

I mean, who doesn't dream in their heart of a disco for a night under the moon? with turntables mix and one headphone and many record.

This is absolutely marvellous but it also belongs in the 'worst pop raps' thread.

Seriously, it's a great tune, thanks!

padraig (u.s.)

This is absolutely marvellous but it also belongs in the 'worst pop raps' thread
yes but there is also an uncanny valley where at a certain point it goes all the way back from worst to best

tbf that rap is p bad but "he likes funky music, just as we do" so I'm inclined to give it the uncanny bad rap valley thumbs up

one of my favorite quirks early 80s post-disco club music is how close non-rappers rapping were to contemporary actual rap, + disco all the rap is

there are a ton awesome rap not rap wot do call it tracks from that era

padraig (u.s.)

but also ofc u r weclome

my COTD 2 of those more straight up boogie/italo type S.A. tracks I was mentioning. both white singers backed my mixed race production teams.

this one is the fuckin jam

this lady also does covers of Klein + M.B.O., Madonna, + Last Nite a D.J. Saved My Life, so clearly plugged into intl post-disco scene. her LP p good as well.

firefinga

One of the most enigmatc releases I could think of. By Cat Stevens of all people, and released in 1977 already - great proto-electro. Sheer greatness.

Leo

i see a couple of human lives that likely won't end well.

but it's all for the lulz, so all good, huh?

luka

dunno, just thought it was a bit catchy tbh. but i get that reaction sometimes, usually from songs about stabbing other kids, so i know what you mean.

Leo

yeah, not to get all boring-old-fart about it, i used to love when iggy would go on three-day benders and carve himself up onstage with broken glass and other nonsense. i just found that video to be depressing and sad, waste of a life packaged for the voyeuristic entertainment of 40 million rubberneckers.

Status
Not open for further replies.