Status
Not open for further replies.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
Luka and I felt under siege for liking Whitney, but then we felt mocked for liking 80s soul, R&B, New Jack Swing back in 2003.
yeah I can see that

I think the revisionism that started with boogie - via Dam Funk etc - has spread to the smoother side of things. or at least that's one of several things that happened.

padraig (u.s.)

I mostly stop being into R+B around when house starts but horses, courses, etc

always the right move to stick to your guns in the face of opprobrium

padraig (u.s.)

I know there's a like 50 page thread for 80s electric soul somewhere

could easily hve one for 80s electric funk, boogie, synth funk, Minneapolis sound, etc

padraig (u.s.)

or no I take that back, this is the one

kinda one of those Alexander O'Neal-style pocket symphonies I know you're enamored with

luka

what massive attack wanted to be but they kept fucking it up.
coudnt get the purity of intent or the purity of emotion. scrabbling for depth but never finding it.
this does it effortlessly.

padraig (u.s.)

idk if this is a random one off or if a bit of early 90s classic rave is creeping into lo-fi house but either way, pretty good

craner

Beast of Burden

Deliciously bitter Post Rock lost love song.

Edit: I think the thing I like the most about this is the backbone rhythm made up of expensive high heels striding down the street.

This is another I like from the album too, with the idea of catching a tsunami on a video recorder which seemed a rather humorous and dark idea in 1996, but then happened years later:

“there’s only one thing left for me / that’s to watch a whole continent slide into the sea / don’t worry I’ll get it on tape / to show you if you’re awake”

Last edited:

craner

Beast of Burden
what massive attack wanted to be but they kept fucking it up.
coudnt get the purity of intent or the purity of emotion. scrabbling for depth but never finding it.
this does it effortlessly.

You know I agree with your assessment of Massive Attack, but to be fair they did nail it once with this one, surely?

craner

Beast of Burden
who knew Ann Margret put out a big post-disco downtempo sleaze Paradise Garage type banger? produced by Paul Sabu, no le
nice one, my dude.

I had no idea, I just loved her for that Elvis film and the classic Cannon flick 52 Pick-Up!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.