Status
Not open for further replies.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
When you feel the genius of this Jam & Lewis pocket epic, the journey will be complete

I look forward to that day my dude. for now it's still just too smooth for me, tho I can appreciate how good it is at what it's aiming for.

a ton of 80s boogie/R+B (not J+L, they had too much taste) just has this horrible maximal brightness that puts me off (with exceptions, Midnight Star, Mtume, etc). the curse of 80s overproduction. I think that's part of what makes that sound particularly suited for Levan style dubs, pare it down to the bone, strip out all the clutter, ruff it up a bit. traditional disco was pretty maximal too, tbf, but I think it's just groovier - all the Latin percussion - and/or warmer. was talking to a friend the other day about the disco/post-disco transition, one of the sonic markers is bass going from warm ambience to rubbery popping, tho I like both. anyway.

here is another eurodisco thing, pre-Change, w/Luther Vandross on vox, that you may enjoy. too smooth for me.

entertainment

I've never really been interested in new singer/songwriter releases but have been putting this on a lot lately. Absolutely lovely voice. Some Nick Drake vibes maybe.

luka

This is not COTD but just a footnote for Padraig (U.S.)*:

When you feel the genius of this Jam & Lewis pocket epic, the journey will be complete:

* I still insist on the (U.S.) distinction for the reason of deep Dissensus history.

this is a fucking tune

sadmanbarty

i don't think i was ever as into music as much as i was when i was discovering all those 90's rap classics. cuba linx was my favourite at the time. i'm gettting all wistful now.

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting

This one got played at my post-birthday afterparty. I was staggeringly drunk and as usual this one almost made me cry.

luka

i love a motivational anthem. i love the massive buzz they give me. i could never be a sadboy.

Status
Not open for further replies.