Status
Not open for further replies.

sadmanbarty

heartbreaking this one. the lead line sounds like a crying child. the melody is so full of remorse and loss.

all the wasted potential. of uk funky. of london. of all the people i used to know when this would have come out. lives completely thrown away over nothing.

the drums are wicked too.

sadmanbarty

its a weird one. witch doctor delirium.

you could say it's the last hardcore track. still got the mania and frenzy to it. the drums even sound like tresillo-fied hardcore breakbeats.

its the funeral for the nuum. it's got hardcore in their, rhythms a little grimey, a little ruff sqwaddish melody. that engorged, womb like bass, like when you see the dark side of a planet silhouetted against the sun.

sadmanbarty

this one really hit me after i hadn't listened to the album for a few years, it probably wasn't one of my favourites when i first got into it.

it's served well by memory and nostalgia. it's got that dissociative quality to it. empty and filtered, a bit like memories themselves.

then that beautiful shimmering bit, that golden sparkle when for a split second you inhabit a memory and it's perfect for that split second.

the colour of album covers always leaves a really strong inprint on my listening (everything on cuban linx for example sounds orange to me). so this sounds like that pastel blue of prodigy's hat.

haunted by your own past happiness.

sadmanbarty

not a big big l fan, but this sounds wicked now that i'm all tired. woozy.

in my mind i tend to dismiss any innovative potential of 90's rap. it mind it's gorgeous, but not something i'd hold up as particularly innovative. i wonder if that's a mistake. maybe all the stuff they do with samples during that era was unprecedented. maybe in the 80's (i'm completely unfamiliar with 80's rap) sampling was very cut and paste, whereas in the 90's they were doing clever stuff with it. filters, slowing it down, chopping it up, etc. maybe its a richer, more unprecedented soundworld than i've given it credit for.

sadmanbarty

very autumnal this. crisp air, grey streets and green leaves. the instrumental sounds like grey clouds.

miz's verse is a rhtyhmic marvel. luke thinks i like him because he's infantile and i want to care about him. paternal instincts. he sounds cool to me.

"splash some gems and throw some things over gardens"

sadmanbarty

i think this was the last drill song i fell in love with. the last time it felt relevant and exciting. not that it was any different from all the drill before, but it was just a perfect execution of the formula.

it sounds like those weird nights when the sun takes aaages to set. it clings on against the horizon. turns the sky orange. it makes the night magical. everyone gets all excited and goes out.

(also if you set it to 0.75 speed on the youtube settings you can hear how african/dancehallish the drums sound)

http://pdpics.com/photo/1070-orange-sky-sunset/

version

heartbreaking this one. the lead line sounds like a crying child. the melody is so full of remorse and loss.

all the wasted potential. of uk funky. of london. of all the people i used to know when this would have come out. lives completely thrown away over nothing.

the drums are wicked too.

I don't even know how to describe that thing Apple used but it was in seemingly every tune he did and always sounded sick.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Totally wrote off Aphex's latest thing cos it sounded like by the numbers shit but I gave it a spin today and this one in particular has it moments

My complaint with the stuff on here is actually that he has some great ideas that he picks up and drops in about 30 seconds. Proper ADD music.

version

My complaint with the stuff on here is actually that he has some great ideas that he picks up and drops in about 30 seconds. Proper ADD music.

I'm sure I've read him saying something along the lines of more or less having to do that to keep himself interested. Makes sense tbh. You'd have to do something to keep it exciting after 30+ years of making tunes.

luka

Last time Barty was here he was playing me loads of Playboi Carti, someone who will isolate a throwaway idea from a young thug song and make it a whole song/meme. People like Thug and Aphex give rise too and perhaps even need, these lesser, more commercially minded, cynical followers to flesh out their sketchbooks and notebooks. In some way they are completed by their parasites.

sadmanbarty

classic early-00's 'sweet badboy' voice at the beginning. down-the-end-of-the-phone crooning. craig david, timberlake, et al. all do it

the good thing about 2step is that when you sample the rnb vocalist you draw out the sinister qualities of them. the trauma of aliyah (and presumbaly others too). the emotional disaccosiativenss of them. when an animal's injured and just freezes in shocked paralysis.

sadmanbarty

abjectly chilling this one. it's like trying to see a face through a condensation covered pane of glass. these emotions materialising and then dissipating as melodic lines are introduced and dropped.

that ghostly vibrato and thin vibrato; like a holographic girlfriend. idealised, but also translucent and intangible. in love with an idea. the fictions we tell ourselves. and the deep anguish we feel knowing they're not true.

sadmanbarty

this was a staple choon in my self-proclaimed cool club. a fundamental touchstone in my formative notions of 'cool'. my visualisation of it is very mch informed by that era's music videos too; a cross between the videos of prodigy's 'firestarter' and artful dodger's 're-rewind'.

there's something mystical and (to make version happy) cave like about it. it sounds like an amber fire situated amongst stalagmites around which myths are told. cave paintings revealed by flickering, apricot torchlight. moses' burning bush.

there's that bleep bit as well, sowing these hardcore continuum seeds in a young barty.

very multicultural. jamaican vocals, that indian-esque incantation, euro sterile-tech chic. it's all there. but sinister, foreshadowing post-9/11 attitudes about multiculturism. it's not 'bend it like beckham', it's tommy robinson livestreaming talking about "enemy combatants"

sadmanbarty

in our beyond soul discussions, i've repeatedly posited mavado as the last bastion of soulfulness. he's got that grit and slight distortion in his voice as brandy has in this with lines like "I found it quite strange/The way you said her name/And when you look in her eyes".

when you listen to dancehall sets you either get these squealing, autotuned wuthering-heights-kate-bush vocals or these booming, swashbuckling old testement vocals.

then a mavado choon will crop up and it's so yearning and poignant and earthy.

sadmanbarty

london velocity. luke's touched on it before. we've got to crack the coede at some point

we've toched on it on the 80s thread. that'll be the key in

Status
Not open for further replies.