Status
Not open for further replies.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy

Rakim - It's Been A Long Time (1997)

I heard this on Westwood's show when I was first getting into hip-hop and I didn't even know who Rakim was. (Or Premier, for that matter.) I dunno if this was one of my first introductions to rapping that was so beautifully constructed, all the rhymes interlocking, but I still can semi-rap along with these verses so I must have replayed it quite a few times. That era of Westwood shows was all Big Pun, DMX, Canibus, Bad Boy, Wu Tang, Eminem... THE BLURST OF TIMES.

The other one of that album which I liked even more (and not cos of Rakim, but cos of the beat) was 'Guess Who's Back'

Corpsey

bandz ahoy

Beach Boys "I Just Wasn't Made For These Times"

'They say I got brains but they ain't doing me no good
I wish they would'

Is my mantra/epitaph. I love this song, for reasons it's best not to go into because I'm a shit writer.

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy

Ricardo Villalobos - Lugom-ix (1998)

Thought I'd explore Villalobos on discogs today while I'm searching for jobs I don't want to do. Some pleasing textures in this one.

sadmanbarty

When this song was new I remember hanging out with just a couple of other blokes and a whole bunch of girls. The girls were pretty tough; they all had stories about their brothers getting attacked with machetes or their boyfriends disappearing to go and back some beef and that sort of thing. They were very feisty and confrontational (barely a week would go by without one of them getting into a fight at chicken cottage) and they were all very emotionally guarded in terms of displaying any kind of vulnerability. so i was staggered when one of them put tis on and they all, in rapturous unison, started singing along, pouring their hearts out to it. there was a really infantile kind of yearning to it. as soon as the play button was hit it felt like they went from being these cold, world-weary 15 year olds to being a bunch of 6 year olds in princess dresses.

anyway its a good song

Corpsey

bandz ahoy

Wu Tang Clan - 7th Chamber

New Wu album has its moments, but the best thing it did for me was send me back to the mid 90s stuff, especially '36 Chambers', which sounded ancient and amazing back in 1997/8 when I first heard it, and decades later still is as raw as it gets.

Status
Not open for further replies.