Status
Not open for further replies.

luka

dunno what you see in that sort of music. its like what they use in the background when they put you on hold at the euthanasia clinic.
delibidinising, to use one of k-punks favourite words.

luka

reminds me of the days when boredom still existed. the late 80s say, on a slow afternoon. turn on the telly and its just some black and white film on.

luka

going out of your mind with boredom. staring at the carpet till you hallucinate a face in it

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
I think you'll appreciate Mark Twain's reaction to Tristan und Isolde

'Mark Twain, on a visit to Germany, heard Tristan at Bayreuth and commented: "I know of some, and have heard of many, who could not sleep after it, but cried the night away. I feel strongly out of place here. Sometimes I feel like the one sane person in the community of the mad; sometimes I feel like the one blind man where all others see; the one groping savage in the college of the learned, and always, during service, I feel like a heretic in heaven."

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
meanwhile Nietzsche by Nature was more enthusiastic

Friedrich Nietzsche, who in his younger years was one of Wagner's staunchest allies, wrote that, for him, "Tristan and Isolde is the real opus metaphysicum of all art ... insatiable and sweet craving for the secrets of night and death ... it is overpowering in its simple grandeur". In a letter to his friend Erwin Rohde in October 1868, Nietzsche described his reaction to Tristan's prelude: "I simply cannot bring myself to remain critically aloof from this music; every nerve in me is atwitch, and it has been a long time since I had such a lasting sense of ecstasy as with this overture". Even after his break with Wagner, Nietzsche continued to consider Tristan a masterpiece: "Even now I am still in search of a work which exercises such a dangerous fascination, such a spine-tingling and blissful infinity as Tristan – I have sought in vain, in every art."[34]

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
Hermann ripped off T&S for his Vertigo soundtrack (this being one of those instances in which the rip-off was what i heard and fell in love with first, and which then helped me appreciate the original - see also jazz sampled in hiphop)

luka

i kept skipping ahead in that wagner video to see if there were any exciting bits but it all sounds the same. like the sound of the sort of depression that just makes everything flat and dull rather then the one where youre going nuts and in unassuageable pain

luka

Hermann ripped off T&S for his Vertigo soundtrack (this being one of those instances in which the rip-off was what i heard and fell in love with first, and which then helped me appreciate the original - see also jazz sampled in hiphop)

i like vertigo but this is why i mentioned the black and white films cos it does remind me of the utterly ennervating quality of early hollywood. just how dead and lifeless those films looked when they were on telly and youre a kid. how those strings seem to suck all the life out of the room

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
but the thing about that wagner is it's all about tension and release so if you skip through it you're doomed to fail - all the emotion is bubbling under until it comes crashing upwards like the spermy surf of a monstrous wank-wave

delibidinising my arse/cock/mouth

but on a serious note i can't see you liking it, it's a time barrier like no other

a towering teutonic time barrier cemented with the crushed bones of europe

i suppose that nietzsche vs twain thing crudely expresses a general truth about the german vs american spirit.

what was it about german romanticism that was so boisterous, ambitious, corpulent and domineering?

Last edited:

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
i like vertigo but this is why i mentioned the black and white films cos it does remind me of the utterly ennervating quality of early hollywood. just how dead and lifeless those films looked when they were on telly and youre a kid. how those strings seem to suck all the life out of the room

i'm sort of with you on this

often i'll really like an old film aside from the constant soundtrack, usually distastefully melodramatic, as if the audience needs to be prodded into reaction

but perhaps they DID in those days, cinema being still derivative of theatre and not to mention only relatively recently possessed of dialogue

Status
Not open for further replies.