Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Happy Birthday Luka

You can post as many choons as you like on this your special day

btw that one you posted was one of the best. This is my default fave Todd tune:

Runnin' Away RMX

Last edited:

luka

Happy Birthday for yesterday Crowley. You share a birthday with idle rich, dissensus poster.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
That's a good'n Luka, and one I have never returned to unlike Grindin', When the Last Time etc.

Plus the judicious use of steel drums in there has inspired my COTD

DG YOLA - Ain't Gon Let Up (2006)

All praises due to Noz for hipping me to this. If there's a better use of steel drums in rap music (or indeed in music PERIOD) I would love to know about it.

luka

Yeah that's pretty great have you heard this though?

Alberto Balsalm - Steel Version:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Donald Byrd - Black Byrd

EDIT: Changed to 'Love's So Far Away'

Just discovered this album today. It's along the lines of Roy Ayers, and perfect for a crystalline summer's day such as today's crystalline summer's day.

R,I.P MR. BYRD....THANK YOU FOR THE GREAT MEMORIES AND GREAT MUSIC!
Review by Steve Huey: Purists howled with indignation when Donald Byrd released Black Byrd, a full-fledged foray into R&B that erupted into a popular phenomenon. Byrd was branded a sellout and a traitor to his hard bop credentials, especially after Black Byrd became the biggest-selling album in Blue Note history. What the elitists missed, though, was that Black Byrd was the moment when Byrd's brand of fusion finally stepped out from under the shadow of his chief influence, Miles Davis, and found a distinctive voice of its own. Never before had a jazz musician embraced the celebratory sound and style of contemporary funk as fully as Byrd did here -- not even Davis, whose dark, chaotic jungle-funk stood in sharp contrast to the bright, breezy, danceable music on Black Byrd. Byrd gives free rein to producer/arranger/composer Larry Mizell, who crafts a series of tightly focused, melodic pieces often indebted to the lengthier orchestrations of Isaac Hayes and Curtis Mayfield. They're built on the most straightforward funk rhythms Byrd had yet tackled, and if the structures aren't as loose or complex as his earlier fusion material, they make up for it with a funky sense of groove that's damn near irresistible. Byrd's solos are mostly melodic and in-the-pocket, but that allows the funk to take center stage. Sure, maybe the electric piano, sound effects, and Roger Glenn's ubiquitous flute date the music somewhat, but that's really part of its charm. Black Byrd was state-of-the-art for its time, and it set a new standard for all future jazz/R&B/funk fusions -- of which there were many. Byrd would continue to refine this sound on equally essential albums like Street Lady and the fantastic Places and Spaces, but Black Byrd stands as his groundbreaking signature statement.

Last edited:

luka

sometimes i think thats my favourite garage tune of all time....

sometimes i think this is

i remember doing the hoovering in my mums house with this on my walkman, being a bit stoned like i was everyday round this time and those chopped vocals were almost orgasmic. one of my most powerful music memories. like almost overdosing on bliss.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Cards on the table: I was browsing the old 'Sacred Cows' thread and you posted that tune up as a stick to beat Horsepower with.

Also my mate played it at an afterparty recently where we were all beaned up and it was amazing.

THE UK GARAGE POLL MUST HAPPEN!

THIS ONE

luka

i want to break the rules today and post one more tune cos a)i am a bit drunk and have played this 5 times in a row and about to start on a 6th
b)cos no one else has posted a choon and im taking their quota
c)cos i fucking hate latin music
d)spurious olympic tie in
e)im loving it so mcuh

luka

droid doesnt know that tune cos he knows nothing about reggae hes just got a copy of bobs legend compilation and thats it.

Status
Not open for further replies.