Page 108 of 108 FirstFirst ... 85898106107108
Results 1,606 to 1,611 of 1611

Thread: UK EU Referendum Aftermath

Abandon ship
    Took a rest stop that wasn't on the schedule

Brexit being cursed: HEXIT

Not quite sure whether this should go here or in the Societal Paralysis thread, but I've been meaning to quote this here since I read it a few weeks ago. It's the fictional Swedish philosopher Huvelius, from Arthur Machen's 1917 novella The Terror:

"[C]ontrary to the common opinion, it is the wealthy who are greedy of wealth; while the populace are to be gained by talking to them about liberty, their unknown god. And so much are they enchanted by the words liberty, freedom, and such like, that the wise can go to the poor, rob them of what little they have, dismiss them with a hearty kick, and win their hearts and their votes for ever, if only they will assure them that the treatment which they have received is called liberty."
    If we can substitute "media-savvy" for "wise", it seems a pretty good prediction of Brexit from a century ago, wouldn't you say?
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Moody's have downgraded uk debt citing brexit...

And Tesla has announced that their new factory and 10,000 jobs will be in Berlin, not UK as previously thought cos of "Brexit uncertainty".