sadmanbarty

Lots of people would disagree profoundly with that. For example, the cataclysm of 2008 was produced through an economic consensus of sorts - all the 'experts' were revealed to be completely clueless (or else bought off, as with the ratings assessments of Iceland etc before the crash). Plus, the current economic consensus that has been engineered since 1980 or so would have been seen as right-wing madness in the post-war period.

I think that's more the case of politicians and the media empowering a certain minority set of economists, rather than reflecting the economic consensus.

luka

My feeling is that economics is even more politicised than history. That your politics determines your economics whether you're Alan Greenspan or Paul Krugman.

droid

Economic consensus here prior to the crash was that everything was fine and we'd have a 'soft landing'. Economics is deeply politicised and its very nature allows for manipulation far beyond what is possible in the hard sciences.

luka

Economics addresses moral problems with scientific methods, which is a category error.

Gnomic. Are all economic questions moral questions in disguise? Is everything else mere accounting? Perhaps you should flesh this out a bit for us so we don't have to do so much guesswork.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Perhaps you should flesh this out a bit for us so we don't have to do so much guesswork.

Come on, you know that's not vim's style. He sits eternally motionless in a full lotus position, plugged Matrix-style into a terminal from which he receives an uninterrupted stream of data from Bloomberg, Standard and Poor's and a selection of top global stock exchanges, occasionally spitting out these cryptic little jewels of Buddhistic wisdom for us, the uninitiated, to scrabble for in the dirt.

Last edited:

vimothy

yurp
Suppose you wanted to know the answer to the question, what's the right level of public debt in society. An economist might build a model where welfare was a function of public debt. Then the correct level would be whatever maximises social welfare, or minimises some equivalent loss function. So the correct level of public debt is a "technical" question and not a political one. It has a right answer, which can be derived mathematically and has a similar status to a naturalistic fact.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
If I can hazard a guess, I think what vim is saying (please correct me if wrong) is that you can model all these parameters scientifically (sort of - let's not pretend we're talking about physics here) that will give you a "right" answer to something like the question of public debt. But that figure is based on the maximization of something considered "good" or the minimization of something considered "bad", and those things are arbitrary choices which have a moral element and are highly subjective. So a Marxist might seek an economic model that minimizes inequality of income, whereas a libertarian might seek one that ensures the smallest possible dependence on government expenditure for the greatest possible number of people.

Something like that?

luka

i mean, thats what i was saying upthread. im sure he has a more subtle point to make than that.

vimothy

yurp
No argument from me if you think it's a dumb comment, but I'm not saying that economics is too politicised - it's not politicised enough.

luka

people who are good at maths are bad at other things. see the empowered nerd thread.

sadmanbarty

In response to Vim’s point.

There are moral arguments to be had about how to respond to climate change (loosing jobs in the fossil fuel industry for example), but that doesn’t mean that scientists shouldn’t be believed about man-made climate change.

Likewise, there are arguments to be had about retaining Britain’s sovereignty and democracy, but Leaver’s were denying that leaving was going to have significant negative effects on the economy.

Polling suggests that Leave voters weren’t willing to lose single pound of annual income to stem immigration, yet many voted Leave for precisely that reason. This suggests that it wasn’t a moral difference that won the vote, but people not believing (or not even being privy to) the economic consensus.

ps. Mr. Tea, talking about Marxists and libertarians in a conversation about economic consensus is like talking about homeopathy and witchdoctors in a conversation about the medical profession.