Page 32 of 46 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Thread: UK EU Referendum Aftermath

Quote Originally Posted by vimothy View Post
    The UK doesn't make a lot of stuff -- stuff that it used to make quite ably. Why?
    The UK obviously isn't the manufacturing superpower it once was, but it still exported well over half a trillion quid's worth of stuff last year. That's quite a lot of stuff. It's a widespread myth that this country is basically finished as a manufacturing economy.

Edit: of course that's still chicken feed compared to China, but my point was that the UK, in common with many other mature developed economies, isn't even attempting to compete with China. There are things they can do that we can't, and vice-versa.
    Last edited by Mr. Tea; 10-02-2017 at 12:17 PM.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

And yet...South Wales.

Well yes, there's far less heavy primary industry - the sort of thing China excels at - than there used to be. I never said otherwise.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/02/1...yp=cur&referer

Quite amusing piss-taking from the NYT

"The House of Commons voted recently to give itself as little power as possible to reject whatever terms Mrs. May eventually puts to it, a bizarre move for a legislative body in an apparently functioning liberal democracy."

New Scots ref announced.

Quote Originally Posted by droid View Post
    New Scots ref announced.
    Scottish independence poll:

Yes: 48% (-1)
    No: 52% (+1)

(via BMG)
    Chgs. w/ January.
    11:58 PM - 12 Mar 2017

Well within the margin of error.

This is going to be grim.

Quote Originally Posted by Slothrop View Post
    How much difference is it actually going to make to the rest of the UK, though?

Eternal toryism?

Leanne Wood calls for Welsh independence debate if Scotland votes Yes in a second referendum

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/po...dence-12733965

Quote Originally Posted by droid View Post
    Eternal toryism?
    We've got that anyway. Scottish Labour no longer exists. Scotland is essentially ruled by nationalists who have hardly more affinity for Labour than they do for the Tories.

The underlying trigger appears to be the creeping admission that there probably isn't a good trade deal to be done with the EU. Alexis Tsipras brought them a referendum mandate; the EU wiped their arse with it and made him eat it.

That leaves 'WTO Rules', but when you take a look at the detail one can see that this ain't really gonna butter any parsnips. And Trump looks like he intends to undermine it anyway. We don't have the negotiators, or the goodwill. Kippers think trade deals can be done over a pint, but they are mistaken.

Take the poll in a few days and I suspect it might be 52-48 the other way.

This is an article from the Leave side from last year (quickly updated today lol, but the main thrust is still the same) - http://leavehq.com/blogview.aspx?blogno=128

One can say, unequivocally, that the UK could not survive as a trading nation by relying on the WTO Option. It would be an unmitigated disaster, and no responsible government should allow it. The option should be rejected.

I was reading about the WTO default a while ago - its not a default at all is it? Its hundreds of separate complex agreements that would have to be renegotiated.