droid

That's wrong. Did you check the link? Some polls, Tories are up by 6 points. It is true that Labour polling has been better over past few days, but yet to see if that is a sustained improvement.

Yeah, I have my suspicions about that YouGov poll.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I have my suspicions about all the polls! But point remains, there is not (yet) anything close to a clear indication that Labour would win a GE.

droid

Not to say that they will definitely win but Labour are never going to poll 10+ simply due to how the media operates and the state & media propaganda assault against Corbyn. The boost can only come during the campaign when there is relatively neutral and equal coverage.

droid

And personally I think a 2nd Ref would swing marginally to remain - 52/53% but its much less certain given the difficulties of the campaign itself. I imagine turnout would be down significantly, all the dark money will flood back in and the remain campaign would be shouty and incoherent. Bob Geldof will rent a zeppelin.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
And personally I think a 2nd Ref would swing marginally to remain - 52/53% but its much less certain given the difficulties of the campaign itself. I imagine turnout would be down significantly, all the dark money will flood back in and the remain campaign would be shouty and incoherent. Bob Geldof will rent a zeppelin.

Depends what the choices on the ballot paper are/mean to people by then; if by the time of a 2nd ref 'Leave' is widely interpreted as leave without a deal (surely it would only take a few more pointless negotiations to give this impression, if most people don't have it already?), then I think the Remain campaign would be much stronger, with a coherence it never had in 2016, when it was blithely assumed that the result was a foregone conclusion. I can't see how a three or four option poll would work, other than to split the Leave vote.

Turnout might be down, but only among Leave voters dismayed with the process. Surely everyone with any interest at all in Remaining would be at the polling stations at 7am, now they understand what the alternative is and are face-to-face with the void.

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Not to say that they will definitely win but Labour are never going to poll 10+ simply due to how the media operates and the state & media propaganda assault against Corbyn. The boost can only come during the campaign when there is relatively neutral and equal coverage.

Agree with the first bit, but I think the difference from 2017 is that there is no longer the idealistic support for Corbyn that carried him to that result (which was still losing). If voting for Corbyn is still voting for Brexit, then a lot of Labour voters may simply not want to do this - it might be logical to pursue the least bad outcome, but we've seen in the US that voting doesn't follow logical patterns and the centre/left is more than capable of spurning pragmatism at critical moments and splitting itself out of some notion of ideological purity. Also, with so many pro-Remain Labour MPs, keeping everyone 'on message', even during a GE, may be impossible at this point.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I don't see the point of debating the merits of a GE when Labour can't force one and Tories don't want one and so it won't be called.
Also, given the choice between Tory rule and NoBrexit or Brexit and Labour getting in I'd prefer the former. Brexit is the most important issue right now (it will be permanent, governments change) it will hurt people forever and it can only be stopped now. If Corbyn won't oppose it then I don't want him as leader anyway.
Right now the situation is that the Brexit deadline is coming up fast and the Tories are clinging on to power but have no ideas and no majority. Labour need to recognise this and use whatever influence they have to, first, prevent No-deal, then do everything possible to mitigate the Brexit we do get - all with the ultimate aim of stopping Brexit altogether.
To me it's a huge mistake to think about Brexit in terms of what it might mean for Labour's chances - Brexit is THE thing itself.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Brexit feeds into most of those though. It will increase inequality, it is the rise of fascism etc
Also, they are on-going, Brexit is now.

droid

Climate is now and makes Brexit look like a walk in the park. In fact, climate was 30 years ago. The Tories aren't going to do anything about any of those issues other than make them worse.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I agree that climate change is gonna destroy the world but I think that if we have Brexit there will be no checks whatever on the UK leadership and it will increase the rate at which we get fucked.

droid

Unless Corbyn gets in an implements the green economy plan he has outlined while we still have time. A move like that would have a huge impact in Europe and globally.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Unless Corbyn gets in an implements the green economy plan he has outlined while we still have time. A move like that would have a huge impact in Europe and globally.
But how can he get in? There's no GE so that can't happen. I think he should realise that and concentrate on what he can do.

droid

See above. He cant get in right now, but the Tories will crack one way or another. Either May will compromise on customs union and DUP/Brexiteers will bring her down or she won't compromise and Tory remainers will bring her down as the UK nears the precipice.

Last edited: