Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Absolutely. I'm the Unison rep at my job, and I can attest to the fact that the union leadership is fundamentally divorced from the workplace. Not mine, obviously, coz I'm a great rep, but in other places. And wider. Sure, they still do the basic stuff, but the main interest of Union leaders is their political importance. This is why you get crap like NUT spending massive amounts of time crafting statements on Palestine and holding teachers to ransome with fear of undefended abuse cases, rather than focusing on improving teachers' wages or protecting restrictions on working days or holidays.

The RMT's scorched-earth policy with regard to the goodwill of Londoners probably doesn't help either.

craner

Beast of Burden
It probably will try to, but wouldn't that just legitimise the concerns of those who voted to leave? An arrogant, anti-democratic bloc dedicated to federalist supremacism overriding national sovereignty, emptimosed by Juncker (who should be sacked for his role in this disaster, by the way). Wouldn't this just be tragedy layered upon tragedy?

droid

It probably will try to, but wouldn't that just legitimise the concerns of those who voted to leave? An arrogant, anti-democratic bloc dedicated to federalist supremacism overriding national sovereignty, emptimosed by Juncker (who should be sacked for his role in this disaster, by the way). Wouldn't this just be tragedy layered upon tragedy?

Ideally it'll be a last act of spiteful euro-vengeance which will provide the necessary impetus for reform.

craner

Beast of Burden
That was about the EU constitution, which was a fabulous overreach that almost everybody objected to; a massive, almost surreptitious lurch towards supranational-ism. The Irish did what they were told the second time, and voted yes.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Break the unions. Privatise public assets & housing. Deregulate financial and banking sectors. Impose varying forms of austerity. Allow media concentration & shift overton ever rightwards. Tear the post-war social democratic balance to pieces then demonise immigrants & blame foreigners for resulting drop in living standards.

I have to say, droid, this is a bit of an about-face from your usual view on things. Are you feeling alright?

droid

Lisbon - we had a gun to the head. I voted against both times. Nice - voted against first time, then we got the exception to the EU mutual defense pact and voted for.

craner

Beast of Burden
I hope so. The hardcore Euro-federalists have so far shown no interest in reform. The way they treated Cameron was an indicator: they had no reason to believe they should concede anything significant because they didn't, for one second, believe that the UK would vote to leave. Despite the fact that if a similar referendum happened in most EU countries, especially France, the result would be Out.

I say this with sadness, not glea.

droid

Difficult to overstate how incredibly craven Irish politics is wrt Europe - except when they're telling us to stop spending money or change abortion legislation.

droid

Cl2G6nZVYAA93a3.jpg:large

http://speri.dept.shef.ac.uk/2016/06/24/repost-brexistential-crisis-what-would-cassandra-say/

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Well, that's cheered me up.

Along with the news of the Spanish election. The mind boggles on that one. Rajoy stronger than ever it seems.