Page 40 of 42 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 LastLast

Thread: UK EU Referendum Aftermath

but not to get sidetracked

tho kinda back o/t, I imagine it's been said upthread but I'm sure Putin et al are gleefully rubbing their hands over prospect of disastrous Brexit

more disunited Western Europe, easier to bargain with/run roughshod over

fuck it's grim rn huh. embattled weight of years Merkl, Macron papering cracks with enthusiasm (World Cup!), obv worst U.S. prez on Europe possibly literally ever.

Quote Originally Posted by padraig (u.s.) View Post
    I know it's just a message board for whatever little it's worth my sincere best wishes to all yall + your people to come thru it in one piece

unreal
    Much appreciated, seriously.

And similar thoughts to you guys for the next 2.5 (praying to any god that'll listen it's not 6.5) years.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Who could have predicted such a turn of events? - https://www.theguardian.com/politics...trade-deal-nhs

A radical blueprint for a free trade deal between the UK and the US that would see the NHS opened to foreign competition, a bonfire of consumer and environmental regulations and freedom of movement between the two countries for workers, is to be launched by prominent Brexiters.

Sounds the same as TTIP, the free trade deal the EU is doing with the USA.

Quote Originally Posted by john eden View Post
    Sounds the same as TTIP, the free trade deal the EU is doing with the USA.
    Yeah, just without the leverage that comes with being in the EU.

Lol. I had Macron and Merkel on speed dial but they don’t pick up these days.

What leverage?

It's much easier to bully the UK than it is the EU.

What are the anti-neoliberal currents in the EU? And what is their leverage?

For all the things wrong with Corbyn, there is a remote chance that we’ll have an elected govt in the UK which opposes this sort of thing.

privatisation of healthcare in Europe https://corporateeurope.org/power-lo...ion-healthcare it's a year out of date but looks interesting nonetheless. I know nothing about this before reading fully, but on a quick view seems that the US may not have to do much bullying there on points of privatisation

Quote Originally Posted by baboon2004 View Post
    privatisation of healthcare in Europe https://corporateeurope.org/power-lo...ion-healthcare it's a year out of date but looks interesting nonetheless. I know nothing about this before reading fully, but on a quick view seems that the US may not have to do much bullying there on points of privatisation
    Macron has been waging a war on unionised labour in France since he was elected. It's not like they need any encouragement.

As usual the people being bullied are the working class rather than the "good" EU being bullied by the "bad" US (ties in with thirdform's thread about conservative history).

yep, always the story.

And Macron is pushing reforms through despite chronically low approval ratings a la Thatcher (plus his staff beating up protestors) - probably about time for him to find a diversion...

I didn't say the EU was "good" or the US was "bad". I said that it's more difficult to bully the EU than it is the UK and it is, it's much more difficult to push around a trading bloc that size than one small nation, particularly when said nation is in dire need of a trade deal.

I agree re: Corbyn and hope he gets in for that reason. My biggest fear concerning Brexit was that we'd end up being asset stripped by the US and possibly China and the Tories seem only too willing to oblige. The thought of following the Republican party down the black hole of increasingly lower taxes and deregulation is worrying to say the least.

My point is that it's not bullying if there is a shared agenda. It is actually a conspiracy of bullies, colluding.

There is a progressive EU and a neoliberal EU and the latter is in the ascendant...

Quote Originally Posted by john eden View Post
    My point is that it's not bullying if there is a shared agenda. It is actually a conspiracy of bullies, colluding.

There is a progressive EU and a neoliberal EU and the latter is in the ascendant...
    Point taken, but you also have to take into account who's currently in charge of the US. The Trump administration doesn't share the EU's agenda and he doesn't appear to understand anything other than a zero-sum game where he wins via brute force. The EU are in a much better position to push back against that than a post-Brexit UK.