baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
The insularity of UK politicians is mesmerising, aka what a surprise, the EU almost instantly poured cold water on this supposedly breakthrough 'compromise deal', precisely because it was hatched with no regard for what is actually possible.

DannyL

Wild Horses
Interesting brutally sober take here from Glen O'Hara:
Can't figure out how to embed tweets so:

People talk about party democracy, rights of the legislature, interpretation of laws, inter-party working, blah blah blah. What matters is Power. If TMay had a big majority, she'd railroad through. If Labour did, they would. Neither has, so it's a mess. All is Power

Seems correct to me.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
definitely agree with that quote, much as I'd like reality to be different.

"Political parties exist to take and wield power, both in line with their ideology and for those people the party believes it represents." Problem at the moment is that representation of all such people/interests is borderline impossible as they're so fragmented/oppositional, and that for both main parties, a singular ideology (if it ever existed) does not exist in 2019.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Noel Edmunds should be cashing the fuck in on the ubiquity of this phrase right now, somehow.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Think you're right Droid. I don't see any way to avoid it now that can realistically happen. The Titanic metaphor has been used a lot but it's very apt, you can see the Good Ship UK heading very slowly towards the iceberg and no-one wants it to hit it but now it's really close and the course hasn't changed one bit.

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
read an article the other day how the uk will be devoid of drugs after brexit and how the populace will have to resort to sniffing glue and other household items. what will the city of london be without coke?

IdleRich

IdleRich
This bombshell on the day we are told that the UK has moved right up the table of European coke users! At least we are good at something eh.
I'd have thought to be honest that coke was pretty impervious to customs regulations though to be honest, my guess would have been it was less affected by a No Deal than most things... but who knows, maybe they smuggle it in medicines or food or something so it will be disrupted.

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
For example, in 2017, Antwerp seaport reported a tenfold increase in cocaine seizures (4 tonnes in 2013, to 40 tonnes in 2017) and cited pineapples and bananas as a key method for concealment. In 2018, the Antwerp figure rose to 50 tonnes seized, with The Netherlands also reporting increases. It is rarely possible to determine exactly how much of the cocaine from a seizure was UK bound, but e the scale of the UK market and its close proximity all support the assessment that a sizeable proportion was likely heading to the UK.

If Brexit changes the routings and logistics for a range of legitimate goods destined for the UK (which are typically used as cover or concealment for drugs), we can not only expect the drugs to increasingly arrive direct in the UK, but to be followed by the kind of corruption and violence suffered for decades by The Netherlands and, more recently, Belgium. It is feasible to conclude that in addition to increased corruption and violence in and around our ports, significant non-EU crime figures may also re-establish in the UK – securing control of their consignments in proximity to points of arrival. For cocaine, this will likely mean an increase in the presence of Western Balkan and Latin American OCGs, the primary controllers of the large shipments of cocaine destined for the UK. If the tensions experienced in Antwerp and Rotterdam are replicated around UK seaports, this will generate increased violence and incidents of crime related murder.

https://shoc.rusi.org/informer/brexit-bananas-and-uk-drug-market

actually i wouldn't be surprised if the drug-trafficking world will be better prepared for brexit than then the uk itself

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
actually i wouldn't be surprised if the drug-trafficking world will be better prepared for brexit than then the uk itself
I wouldn't be surprised if there were as-yet undiscovered tribes in the Amazon rainforest that were better prepared for brexit than the uk itself tbh.

version

To “deal with problems caused by continued risk of No Deal” to Barclays and its clients, British bank giant has won at the High Court (required under FSMA) right to shift €190bn of assets - from UK to Ireland. Directly cites loss of EEA passport -

IdleRich

IdleRich
To “deal with problems caused by continued risk of No Deal” to Barclays and its clients, British bank giant has won at the High Court (required under FSMA) right to shift €190bn of assets - from UK to Ireland. Directly cites loss of EEA passport -
Yeah I saw that this morning. But I read it as 19 billion... 190 billion sounds like.... rather a lot?

IdleRich

IdleRich
Yeah I know what it is, I'm just saying I did a bit of a double-take the first time I read the story, I guess my brain kinda refused to accept the true value. Anyway, my point is that there is a certain neatness in the fact that Barclays are taking out of the UK ten times as much as the lie on the side of the bus said would come in... I know the numbers aren't comparable in that one is private and the other was (supposed to be) public but it still amuses me.