Page 53 of 64 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast

Thread: UK EU Referendum Aftermath

Quote Originally Posted by other_life View Post
    as someone in the u.s. the words that keep coming to mind re:brexit and also BUILD THAT WALL are "decrepitude" and "senility"
    I don't understand why you put such a positive spin on it.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to IdleRich For This Useful Post:

Fucking hell, every time you think Farage has been finally flushed away he comes bubbling up back round the u-bend...

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...e-delayed-ukip

nigel farage look like a fuckn GUPPY

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...end-article-50

So confused now, because it's impossible to tell if any given public statement is just a lie. I thought that legally, some European law experts has concluded that the UK *could* unilaterally decide to reverse the process....so if it has this power, surely it could just say on March 29, "we haven't decided yet" and the EU would have to give more time?

Also, Labour's amendment:
    "The wording called for May’s government to hold a vote on two options – its alternative Brexit plan and whether to legislate “to hold a public vote on a deal or a proposition” that is supported by a majority in the Commons."
    So it's requesting a vote on whether to hold a public vote on some unnamed proposition that will itself have to be approved by a Commons vote (with a majority, which looks a stretch for any proposition beyond "we are fucked"). And this is being reported as Corbyn turning a corner? Given that only 71 Labour MPs support a second referendum, nothing's changed, surely - he's basically opening a door for the second referendum to be definitively kicked to death.
    Last edited by baboon2004; 22-01-2019 at 09:23 AM.

They can revoke unilaterally, which means another 2 years if A50 gets declared again.

Extension requires agreement.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to droid For This Useful Post:

So this is what everyone wanted, right?

Quote Originally Posted by droid View Post
    They can revoke unilaterally, which means another 2 years if A50 gets declared again.

Extension requires agreement.
    Thanks - it's remarkable how living in this country and reading its newspapers has made it so difficult even to unpick simple issues. There is some profound psychological fuckery going on.

Quote Originally Posted by baboon2004 View Post
    Thanks - it's remarkable how living in this country and reading its newspapers has made it so difficult even to unpick simple issues. There is some profound psychological fuckery going on.
    To say nothing of the fact that it's so utterly, drearily boring, and is taking up so much of everyone's time, attention and energy that we're not thinking about anything else.

If a Martian war fleet landed in central London tomorrow, all the papers, the BBC, New Statesman and everyone else would be like "But what does this mean for Brexit?".
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Tea For This Useful Post:

I know, and also - and I imagine you feel similarly Tea, given your contributions to the Blue Sky Thinking thread - it's traumatically reminiscent of many people's workplaces, and the way endless meetings and endless diatribes lead to virtually nothing changing, awful mealymouthed language replacing action.

If anyone has links to any good writing around this, I'd be interested to know. The psychological effects of chronic stuckness in the public realm, essentially.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to baboon2004 For This Useful Post:

I know, and also - and I imagine you feel similarly Tea, given your contributions to the Blue Sky Thinking thread - it's traumatically reminiscent of many people's workplaces, and the way endless meetings and endless diatribes lead to virtually nothing changing, awful mealymouthed language replacing action.
    That's a good insight, I think. All these votes on whether to hold a resolution to have a debate about holding a vote. Endlessly going back to Brussels with an 'offer' that everyone knows in advance will be rejected because it's only cosmetically different from the last rejected offer. Action* for the sake of being seen to take action.

*Edit: or rather a sort of performative pseudo-action.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Yup. You're all being comprehensively mindfucked. Its disconcerting.

analysis paralysis.

Both main parties now in a state of open civil war.

Phew, for a moment there I was worried I might be suffering hate-fatigue! But apparently not.