Leo

also: anyone who's counting on trump to hold up his end on this "fantastic, very big trade deal" with the UK should talk to the contractors and other vendors who worked on his buildings.

IdleRich

IdleRich
What is going to happen? Can Johnson force things through by closing parliament or by ignoring a vote of no-confidence? Can parliament stuff him by kicking him out or demanding an extension? No-one seems to know for certain what the actual rules are... are we just gonna find out when it happens? It's this not knowing what the rules are and what will happen when all these realities collide that makes it so stressful.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Thoughts on this morning's (expected) bombshell? I think now starts the process of making up/remaking the rules - the UK is a joke democracy as it stands this morning. Enough Tories are on record as saying this is a constitutional outrage to allow for a no-confidence vote in the first instance? Then Johnson is banking on winning the GE through pushing the populist angle that elite parliamentarians are trying to illegally frustrate Brexit. And what they're going to say during the campaign will no doubt be so incendiary that violence is v likely. And who is doing the Cambridge Analytica work now? Accusations of electoral fraud flying all over the place if Tories don't get a majority with Farage. But the polls look pretty awful.

Or is it going to go in a wholly different direction?

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
Thoughts on this morning's (expected) bombshell? I think now starts the process of making up/remaking the rules - the UK is a joke democracy as it stands this morning. Enough Tories are on record as saying this is a constitutional outrage to allow for a no-confidence vote in the first instance? Then Johnson is banking on winning the GE through pushing the populist angle that elite parliamentarians are trying to illegally frustrate Brexit. And what they're going to say during the campaign will no doubt be so incendiary that violence is v likely. And who is doing the Cambridge Analytica work now? Accusations of electoral fraud flying all over the place if Tories don't get a majority with Farage. But the polls look pretty awful.
Or is it going to go in a wholly different direction?
I dunno man. It is a bombshell though it seemed very likely he would try it at some point. It seems like the phoney war is over and from today we'll start getting some answers about how our system works and how well it works. Can he do this and can he be stopped and if so how and what do each of those eventualities mean? Both in terms of Brexit and for the functioning of our democracy.

IdleRich

IdleRich
No-one got anything to say about this? I'm hoping that's cos you're all out protesting... or, better still, storming the houses of parliament.

luka

What is so fiendishly clever about this is that we know we are split 50/50 and no protest we make can be said to have the will of the people behind it. What we need is political leadership. The future needs to be mapped out for people in no uncertain terms. Your food will be poisoned. Your media will be compromised beyond the point of usefulness. Your environment will be poisoned. Your rights will be rendered null and void. You will be at the mercy of unrestrained power and dissent itself will be criminalised and the prisons will be underfunded and understaffed and handed over to the control of criminal gangs. You will have no recourse to justice. No means of escape. The door will have been slanmed shut and bolted. This is what is at stake.

version

It's a worrying time. It's been alarming to see how quickly the narrative changes and people forget. Farage was apparently fine with the Norway approach until he wasn't and now he says that no-deal is the only legitimate form of Brexit and his supporters have all suddenly decided that that's what they voted for in the first place despite it being dismissed as scaremongering during the campaign.

IdleRich

IdleRich
It's a worrying time. It's been alarming to see how quickly the narrative changes and people forget. Farage was apparently fine with the Norway approach until he wasn't and now he says that no-deal is the only legitimate form of Brexit and his supporters have all suddenly decided that that's what they voted for in the first place despite it being dismissed as scaremongering during the campaign.
Yeah I'm an obsessive reader of comments and that is a claim (lie) that I hear a lot.
Also just unbelievable that the Tories are claiming that this is a perfectly normal break from parliament and it's nothing to do with Brexit. Just straight out of the Trump school, that it doesn't matter how big or ridiculous the lie, just keep repeating it and it becomes the narrative.
Anyway, now we have a situation that a referendum which we know was (narrowly) won by cheating and lying and during which the Leave campaign swore up and down would not lead to us leaving without a deal, is seen as a mandate for a minority government to impose our leaving without a deal by bypassing parliament. It's fucking madness. These cunts... I'm so angry I can hardly type. Thank fuck we left the UK.

version

I hadn't actually seen the news until just now. A mate asked me what I thought of what had just happened and I went from completely out of the loop to furious within a fraction of a second after glancing at Reuters.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Saw on facebook people discussing tomorrow's predicted headlines. Someone suggested the following;

Prorogue trooper
Prorogue and roll
Prorogue nation
Prorogue states
Prorogue trader
Gone prorogue
Democrazy
Johnson is a cunt

version

It's scary how little can be done if someone decides they're just not going to follow the rules anymore.

forclosure

well this is the thing innit people said with Trump that oh the process will stop him and it didnt nobody has that pretense with Johnson

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.

Wake up call for anyone (still) pretending the BBC is anything but a propaganda tool of the right-wing state. This is extraordinary even by their disgraceful standards.Schooled by Heseltine.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
It's scary how little can be done if someone decides they're just not going to follow the rules anymore.

Well that already happened in 2016 - Leave campaign broke every rule going. I think that however bad this is, it is a logical consequence of sleepwalking into disaster since 2008/2010 and not a sudden change.

version

It's crazy that it's gone far enough that it's a Tory who served under Thatcher having to make that point to the BBC.