version

That being said, I do think the left need to play a bit dirtier as they're getting stomped by the right at the moment. Obama not ramming through his supreme court nomination being a good example, the Republicans would never give the Democrats that same courtesy.

version

You can tell he's a radical because he quoted himself in the epigraph.

Quoted himself citing Satan as the first radical. Did Fox News ever get hold of this? I can picture the headline.

"Obama mentor wrote book praising SATAN for his radical politics."

luka

Quoted himself citing Satan as the first radical. Did Fox News ever get hold of this? I can picture the headline.

"Obama mentor wrote book praising SATAN for his radical politics."

I heard of him cos the right were trying to tarnish Obama via his links with alinsky I thought sweet I will buy that book then

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
If the last three years has shown us anything it's how toothless our political system is once "good sportsmanship" has gone out the window.

Yeah, a written constitution is looking like a pretty fucking good idea right now. Maybe it's too late and irreversible damage has already been done, I don't know.

IdleRich

IdleRich
That being said, I do think the left need to play a bit dirtier as they're getting stomped by the right at the moment. Obama not ramming through his supreme court nomination being a good example, the Republicans would never give the Democrats that same courtesy.
Yeah, that pissed me off at the time. In general the left has been out-manoeuvred by the right's willingness to fight dirty. The left has underestimated that time and time again and been defeated as a result. They do need to fight dirtier... but I think unfortunately some moves are just not available to you if you want to see yourself as the goodies. I mean this is all the "ends justifies the means" debate really but I think that not all means are justified and maybe that's a built-in problem for the kind of people I'm gonna like.

IdleRich

IdleRich
What about Gove refusing to say whether the government wil obey parliament if it is defeated? Another step downwards to dictatorship I think.

comelately

Wild Horses
While I don't disagree per se, I'm going to play devil's advocate a bit and offer the following published earlier this year:

https://ukconstitutionallaw.org/201...n-to-refuse-royal-assent-to-a-backbench-bill/

tl;dr - Amending Standing Order 14 is constitutionally ropey, and takes Parliament towards being like the USA system of a predominantly policy-making legislature coupled with an executive veto. Therefore, it does make sense that the executive might decide to indeed wield the veto. Of course, Parliament can vote no-confidence........ah.

What's really clear is that the Fixed-Term Parliament Act was a dreadful piece of legislation, and historians will not look upon its writers kindly.

Last edited:

version

"I voted remain because I've read Lord of the Flies, and I know what happens when you leave a small island in the charge of public school boys."

version

Brexit, the Tories, and the Constitution

A thread on how we got here, with actual examples

1. Secretaries of State repeatedly misled the House and its committees over the extent and existence of Brexit sector analyses reports

2. The government prolonged the current parliamentary session over two years, so that there would not be a Queen's Speech

3. The government packed committees with Tory majorities, even though it is a hung parliament, by procedural sleight of hand

4. The government repeatedly ignored and did not even participate in votes on opposition motions

And then disregarded the motions passed

5. The government sought to make the Article 50 notification without any parliamentary approval whatsoever, and forced litigation to go all the way to the Supreme Court so that parliament could have that approval

6. The government committed itself to billions of pounds of public expenditure in a blatant bribe to the DUP for support in a supply and confidence vote

7. The government repeatedly sought to circumvent or abuse the Sewell convention in its dealings with the devolved administrations

8. The government sought to legislate for staggeringly wider "Henry VIII powers" so that it could legislate and even repeal Acts without any recourse to parliament

9. The government became the first administration in parliamentary history to be held to be in contempt of parliament

10. The government stood by when there were attacks on the independent judiciary and the independent civil service

"Enemies of the People"

"Traitors"

11. The government deliberately broke the pairing convention, in respect of an MP on maternity leave, so that the the government could win a vote

12. The government gave serious consideration to blocking a duly passed Bill from obtaining Royal Assent

13. The government has now locked the doors of parliament for five weeks in the crucial run-up to a no deal Brexit, just to avoid scrutiny and adverse legislation

14. Today a senior cabinet minister refused to commit the government to complying with any laws passed by parliament

15. And the response of government supporters to anyone disturbed by this pattern of increasingly serious constitutional wrongs?

"Hysterical"

But these concrete examples show there is something serious to be worried about

Something bad is happening, and it has to be stopped

/ends

IdleRich

IdleRich
So is the situation that Johnson won't be able to get No Deal legislation through parliament, and in fact, even with his poroguing he won't be able to stop anti-no-deal legislation so he's gonna go for an election on the belief that that will give him a majority for No Deal? Whereas originally he was threatening to delay the election until after the deadline he's now confident enough he can win it to not do that?

IdleRich

IdleRich
Jacob Rees-Mogg has accused a doctor of “fear-mongering” after he challenged the Commons Leader to say how many people he would accept could die as a result of a no-deal Brexit. As the Press Association reports, Dr David Nicol, a consultant urologist involved in the Operation Yellowhammer report into the impact of a no-deal Brexit on the NHS, called in to LBC’s Ring Rees-Mogg show to ask what “mortality rate” he would accept if the UK crashed out of the EU without a deal. Nicol asked:

Having been involved in writing the plans for mitigation and having whistle-blown because I felt they were unsafe, what level of mortality rate are you willing to accept in the light of a no-deal Brexit?

Rees-Mogg replied:

I don’t think there’s any reason to suppose that a no-deal Brexit should lead to a mortality rate. I think this is the worst excess of Project Fear and I’m surprised that a doctor in your position would be fear-mongering in this way on public radio.

As PA reports, Nicol told the prominent Brexiter:

Can I remind you I wrote the plans of mitigation?

But Rees-Mogg replied:

Well you didn’t write very good plans if you hadn’t worked out how to mitigate, had you? It’s fortunate they are being written by other people now who are serious about mitigating, rather than remoaners.

Nicol said people could die because of potential problems with access to drugs and radioactive isotopes in the event of a no-deal Brexit. Rees-Mogg said there were “reserve plans to fly drugs in if necessary”. He said:

This is a major focus of government policy. I think it’s deeply irresponsible, Dr Nicol, of you to call in and try to spread fear across the country.

I think it’s typical of remainer campaigners and you should be quite ashamed, I’m afraid.
Fucking hell.

comelately

Wild Horses
The problem is Dr David Nicol is a card-carrying 'Remoaner' so the fact that he had strong input into Yellowhammer feeds the narrative that it was a piece of internal propaganda that sought to make no-deal look as terrifying as possible.

One screen, two movies!

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
That's a pretty good Catch-22. Anyone who is well informed about the likely consequences of a NDB, has an ounce of compassion, and is honest and not a coward, is going to be screaming from the rooftops about what a terrible idea it is. But this defines them as a Remoaner, so - well, then they would say that, wouldn't they? They are "biased" and can therefore safety be ignored.

Thus, in the absence of anyone who can be taken seriously having anything negative to say about NDB, it's obviously going to be fine and we can all KC&CO.

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
Yeah exactly. Did this doctor do his job professionally, react in horror to the results and become a Remainer (or an even stronger one if he was one already) or did he just totally unprofessionally (as a Remainer) make up the results? It should be obvious to most...

IdleRich

IdleRich
NEW: Remainer source says they expect PM to put down a dissolution motion (calling an election) with what appears to be a “reasonable” polling date before 31 Oct, trick MPs into voting for it, then use prerogative proclamation power to move polling day to after 31s Oct.
I wonder if Johnson has actually thought of this or if it's just that he's proved so untrustworthy so far that Remainers are actually imputing to him worse intentions than even he has. The boy who cried wolf almost.