Page 61 of 70 FirstFirst ... 11515960616263 ... LastLast

Thread: UK EU Referendum Aftermath

This was on eyeopener in that regard.

Jesus fucking christ! Basically, what it is, is, we know everyone is stupid, but even if you assume that everyone is stupid and work with that hypothesis, in fact even if you assume them to be dumber than you can possibly imagine they are, it still turns out that everyone is much stupider than that. There is no limit to people's stupidity. An infinite resource.

it all goes back to tribalism. if the facts support what the tribe wants to believe, then it's evidence. if the facts don't support the tribe's beliefs, it's fake news.

I'm not so sure we can blame it all on stupidity (some of it, yes). some groups are just so divided into their tribes that they are willing to accept a post-truth world.

I wish that reporter had asked him, if he knows that people's feelings don't correspond with the facts, why he doesn't make an effort to make the facts clear to them. Obviously we know the answer, but I think it's important to put people like that on the spot and make them justify their position publicly and in clear terms.

That's one thing yeah but I'm talking specifically about the people who think that UKIP has loads of MPs, they're not saying that cos they are rejecting the left wing narrative peddled by the BBC and the rest of the mainstream media that that party doesn't have any MPs. They are not choosing their own alternative facts like Gingrich above. It's rather because they are ignorant and they simply don't know that they don't.
    Now I don't know what's worse, someone who denies clear facts cos they don't like them and demand to have their own, or someone who just doesn't know what the basic facts are - but I don't think I'm being hugely elitist by saying that neither are that good.
    Last edited by IdleRich; 12-04-2019 at 07:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by IdleRich View Post
    Now I don't know what's worse, someone who denies clear facts cos they don't like them and demand to have their own, or someone who just doesn't know what the basic facts are - but I don't think I'm being hugely elitist by saying that neither are that good.
    I think the former is much worse. I can forgive ignorance, there's plenty of stuff I don't know and probably never will, what I can't forgive is outright and purposeful deceit, especially in the case of something as serious as Brexit.

OK yes it's more malicious or whatever. But people who are ignorant of basic facts and plough on regardless cause just as much damage I think and are most likely more malleable by evil demagogues such as, er, Mark Francois (who is in fact also an idiot who can in turn be controlled by a higher level evil genius such as, er, JRM)

yeah, agree there. I sometimes wonder why those sort of "stupid" people even care. if they can't be bothered to search out basic facts, how is it that they have the energy and interest in holding and promoting a political position? why the laziness on one hand yet activism on the other?

OK yes it's more malicious or whatever. But people who are ignorant of basic facts and plough on regardless cause just as much damage I think and are most likely more malleable by evil demagogues such as, er, Mark Francois (who is in fact also an idiot who can in turn be controlled by a higher level evil genius such as, er, JRM)
    Oh yeah, they're both incredibly damaging. I just think that if one's worse than the other, it's intentionally twisting the facts.

A lethal combination. Sometimes I think you should have to pass a test to vote... just really basic stuff but you know. I mean I know the problems with that but fuck it.

A lethal combination. Sometimes I think you should have to pass a test to vote... just really basic stuff but you know. I mean I know the problems with that but fuck it.
    when my English wife was studying to take her American citizenship test, it became obvious that many native born here would fail it.
    Last edited by Leo; 12-04-2019 at 08:31 PM.

One thing I've noticed about social media is that it encourages you to have and offer an opinion on everything and frequently rewards you for doing so, e.g. you can skim a story, brand someone a twat and someone else will probably validate you with a 'like'.

Quote Originally Posted by version View Post
    One thing I've noticed about social media is that it encourages you to have and offer an opinion on everything and frequently rewards you for doing so, e.g. you can skim a story, brand someone a twat and someone else will probably validate you with a 'like'.
    just like dissensus.

< jk >

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Leo For This Useful Post:

Have a 'like'.