Page 61 of 70 FirstFirst ... 11515960616263 ... LastLast
Results 901 to 915 of 1038

Thread: UK EU Referendum Aftermath

  1. #901
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    1,941

    Default

    This was on eyeopener in that regard.


  2. #902
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8,573

    Default

    Jesus fucking christ! Basically, what it is, is, we know everyone is stupid, but even if you assume that everyone is stupid and work with that hypothesis, in fact even if you assume them to be dumber than you can possibly imagine they are, it still turns out that everyone is much stupider than that. There is no limit to people's stupidity. An infinite resource.

  3. #903
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    4,104

    Default

    it all goes back to tribalism. if the facts support what the tribe wants to believe, then it's evidence. if the facts don't support the tribe's beliefs, it's fake news.

    I'm not so sure we can blame it all on stupidity (some of it, yes). some groups are just so divided into their tribes that they are willing to accept a post-truth world.

  4. #904
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    1,941

    Default

    I wish that reporter had asked him, if he knows that people's feelings don't correspond with the facts, why he doesn't make an effort to make the facts clear to them. Obviously we know the answer, but I think it's important to put people like that on the spot and make them justify their position publicly and in clear terms.

  5. #905
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8,573

    Default

    That's one thing yeah but I'm talking specifically about the people who think that UKIP has loads of MPs, they're not saying that cos they are rejecting the left wing narrative peddled by the BBC and the rest of the mainstream media that that party doesn't have any MPs. They are not choosing their own alternative facts like Gingrich above. It's rather because they are ignorant and they simply don't know that they don't.
    Now I don't know what's worse, someone who denies clear facts cos they don't like them and demand to have their own, or someone who just doesn't know what the basic facts are - but I don't think I'm being hugely elitist by saying that neither are that good.
    Last edited by IdleRich; 12-04-2019 at 07:43 PM.

  6. #906
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    1,941

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IdleRich View Post
    Now I don't know what's worse, someone who denies clear facts cos they don't like them and demand to have their own, or someone who just doesn't know what the basic facts are - but I don't think I'm being hugely elitist by saying that neither are that good.
    I think the former is much worse. I can forgive ignorance, there's plenty of stuff I don't know and probably never will, what I can't forgive is outright and purposeful deceit, especially in the case of something as serious as Brexit.

  7. #907
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8,573

    Default

    OK yes it's more malicious or whatever. But people who are ignorant of basic facts and plough on regardless cause just as much damage I think and are most likely more malleable by evil demagogues such as, er, Mark Francois (who is in fact also an idiot who can in turn be controlled by a higher level evil genius such as, er, JRM)

  8. #908
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    4,104

    Default

    yeah, agree there. I sometimes wonder why those sort of "stupid" people even care. if they can't be bothered to search out basic facts, how is it that they have the energy and interest in holding and promoting a political position? why the laziness on one hand yet activism on the other?

  9. #909
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    1,941

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IdleRich View Post
    OK yes it's more malicious or whatever. But people who are ignorant of basic facts and plough on regardless cause just as much damage I think and are most likely more malleable by evil demagogues such as, er, Mark Francois (who is in fact also an idiot who can in turn be controlled by a higher level evil genius such as, er, JRM)
    Oh yeah, they're both incredibly damaging. I just think that if one's worse than the other, it's intentionally twisting the facts.

  10. #910
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8,573

    Default

    A lethal combination. Sometimes I think you should have to pass a test to vote... just really basic stuff but you know. I mean I know the problems with that but fuck it.

  11. #911
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    4,104

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IdleRich View Post
    A lethal combination. Sometimes I think you should have to pass a test to vote... just really basic stuff but you know. I mean I know the problems with that but fuck it.
    when my English wife was studying to take her American citizenship test, it became obvious that many native born here would fail it.
    Last edited by Leo; 12-04-2019 at 08:31 PM.

  12. #912
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    1,941

    Default

    One thing I've noticed about social media is that it encourages you to have and offer an opinion on everything and frequently rewards you for doing so, e.g. you can skim a story, brand someone a twat and someone else will probably validate you with a 'like'.

  13. #913
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    4,104

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by version View Post
    One thing I've noticed about social media is that it encourages you to have and offer an opinion on everything and frequently rewards you for doing so, e.g. you can skim a story, brand someone a twat and someone else will probably validate you with a 'like'.
    just like dissensus.

    < jk >

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Leo For This Useful Post:


  15. #914
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    1,941

    Default

    Have a 'like'.

  16. #915
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8,573

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •