version

Also Cummings apparently confronted Corbyn stinking of booze:

Tim Shipman: Dominic Cummings just bumped into Corbyn in Portcullis House and shouted “Come on Jeremy let’s do this election, don’t be scared.” My spy says Corbyn was bundled away by horrified aides.

Cat Smith
‏Verified account @CatSmithMP

As one of several shadow cabinet members stood right next to Jeremy (who was on the phone at the time) I just thought there was some loud bloke who stunk of booze yelling at us.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Great, nicking that picture. Thanks.
Cummings was stinking of booze right? Looks like parliament is in contempt of him right now.

version

Well, it hasn't been confirmed it was him but that's apparently the story. It sounds like he's cracking if true.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Labour source raises an interesting prospect.
With 21 Tories losing the whip and Phillip Lee crossing the floor, Labour with SNP & LDs now have a notional majority of five.
"Why wouldn't you ask to form a Government and take control of Parliament?"
I was kinda assuming that this is the next logical step

version

They're very fired up at the moment. The atmosphere has completely changed.

Labour sources tonight suggest that they will eventually vote for an election after bill becomes law. “But why should Boris Johnson decide when it happens? He has a majority of minus 40. He’s not in charge of this country anymore.”

IdleRich

IdleRich
They're very fired up at the moment. The atmosphere has completely changed.
I think it has... though looking at the Telegraph website they haven't got it, they're banging on about Bercow. But Johnson and co have grasped it I think, they are well on the back foot. Only issue is it could swing back the other way tomorrow, but today was a good day and all right thinking people should enjoy the discomfort of Johnson and Mogg.

IdleRich

IdleRich
In fact just seen that the Telegraph headline for tomorrow will be "Johnson demands election" which is true as far as it goes but kinda leaves out the main developments of the day. Still the Express has gone with "Parliament surrenders to the EU" so it could be worse/more insane I suppose.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Also Cummings apparently confronted Corbyn stinking of booze:

Tim Shipman: Dominic Cummings just bumped into Corbyn in Portcullis House and shouted “Come on Jeremy let’s do this election, don’t be scared.” My spy says Corbyn was bundled away by horrified aides.

Cat Smith
‏Verified account @CatSmithMP

As one of several shadow cabinet members stood right next to Jeremy (who was on the phone at the time) I just thought there was some loud bloke who stunk of booze yelling at us.

That's amazing. I know The Thick of It has been outflanked by reality, but this needs to be dramatised.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
What they're (Johnson, Cummings) are going to do now, surely, is look for any arcane instrument possible outside the Fixed-Term Parliament Act to force an election? And I wouldn't bet that one doesn't exist.

I see their critical mistake so far as being the mirror image of the mistake perpetrated by the Remain campaign in 2016 - by insulting the opposition's determination and basic strength of will by assuming they would just roll over in the face of proroguing skullduggery, they've essentially radicalised them, so that Remain or No No-Deal have now become just as religious a position as Leave. Massive mistake - I'm seeing people who haven't expressed any interest in politics so far, absolutely irate that Johnson would be taking the piss in this way.

Even watching the live-stream of Parliament yesterday was electric - continuing theme, in that much as I don't like their politics, Soubry and Swinson were inspiringly scathing of the Tory front bench. Ian Blackford continues to tear strips out of Johnson whenever the opportunity presents itself.

Last edited:
What they're (Johnson, Cummings) are going to do now, surely, is look for any arcane instrument possible outside the Fixed-Term Parliament Act to force an election? And I wouldn't bet that one doesn't exist

The Civil Contingencies Act (2004) allows the government to do pretty much anything, but not sure how the goverment could force an election on the country

IdleRich

IdleRich
So the guy who doesn't want an election keeps begging for one. If Corbyn has half a brain he will avoid being goaded into saving Bozza by playground insults....

comelately

Wild Horses
The thing that he knows is that Labour almost certainly doesn't have the support to get him out of No. 10. Certainly not on the morning of October 15/16 in time for the European Council meeting.

comelately

Wild Horses
Bercow ruling that Benn's bill doesn't require the Queen's Consent is pretty big. A lot of Brexiteers are incandescent. The gloves, if they were not already, are off.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Bercow ruling that Benn's bill doesn't require the Queen's Consent is pretty big. A lot of Brexiteers are incandescent. The gloves, if they were not already, are off.
They HATE him. I was reading that they might try and stand an MP against him next time to get him out - normally convention means the speaker is given a free run. Anyway, the comments on the article were filled with words such as traitor and quisling and so on. Real rage and hatred basically.
I'm glad that Labour (and others in fact) are consistently referring to Johnson as slippery, dishonest, untrustworthy - saying (rightly) that they have to pin him down with laws as he cannot be relied on to do what he says he will. I think that this ought to start getting through to people.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I kinda get that, Bercow has made some big decisions and if they go against you then you're gonna think he's biased. Some of it is bullshit though, for example getting annoyed about Johnson porogueing parliament, that's exactly his job, to stick up for parliament. Calling that biased is just one-eyed. But yeah, and he's a Tory and so they see him as a traitor which is an extra thing.