version

I'm biased but a lot of what Bercow does just strikes me as holding the Tories to account and they don't like it because they seem to believe they have an absolute right to do whatever they want.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Ha!
This is strange though

Sounds as though Caroline Spelman will be spared. Govt source says today's vote was NOT being treated as a confidence vote so she won't be kicked out despite breaking three-line whip. Where does that leave party discipline though?
Looks as though they are scared of their numbers but it shows unfair inconsistency that would piss be off if I were one of the ones kicked out for doing the same thing yesterday.

version

It gets stranger and stranger:

Sebastian Payne
‏Verified account @SebastianEPayne

Boris Johnson came under sustained attack in the 1922 committee this evening for withdrawing the whip from the 21 anti no deal rebels.

The prime minister blamed it on the chief whip, saying it would be wrong to undermine him. "It was completely pathetic," said one MP.

Sebastian Payne

Johnson was also questioned about the role of Dominic Cummings in the sacking of the 21 rebels. The PM responded that Cummings shouldn't be blamed as it was him in a "latex mask".

Sebastian Payne

MPs who attacked Boris Johnson for removing the whip from the 21 rebels included @Tobias_Ellwood @EdwardLeighMP @timloughton and @DamianGreen

Sebastian Payne

In the 1922 meeting, Johnson also hinted at the prospect of a paired-down backstop for Northern Ireland by quoting the late Ian Paisley: "Our people may be British but our cows are Irish"

The PM referenced agri-food regime covering the whole island of Ireland in the Commons yday

IdleRich

IdleRich
Are they up to something? People are saying they deliberately didn't send people to count the no votes which means that aye won by default.

version

I sometimes feel that some equivalent of 'the snap' from Avengers occurred in 2016 and half of Britain and America went completely nuts. There's a section in V. where McClintic sphere discusses flipping people like a switch which comes to mind:

« 'Crazy', said McClintic... But one thing that did occur to him was if a computer's brain could go flip and flop, why so could a musician's. As long as you were flop, everything was cool. But where did the trigger-pulse come from to make you flip? (...) What happened after the war? That war, the world flipped. But come '45, and they flopped. Here in the jazz bars of Harlem they flopped. Everything got cool. . .»

version

Are they up to something? People are saying they deliberately didn't send people to count the no votes which means that aye won by default.

Lewis Goodall
‏Verified account @lewis_goodall

My understanding is that the govt allowed Kinnock amendment to go through because ministers thought rebels would try and take it out which would activate ping-pong and take up time. But rebels aren't going to take it out. So ruse didn't work.

version

Lewis Goodall
‏Verified account @lewis_goodall

For those not intimately familar with parliamentary procedure, ping pong (or wiff waff as the PM might say) is the to and fro of amendments between commons and lords. Usually not a problem but it would consume time parliament doesn't have because of prorogation.

IdleRich

IdleRich
So the filibustering has failed (or given up) and the No-No-Deal thing will pass and become an act of parliament. Now Johnson has changed his tune from "I don't want an election, you don't want an election" to "Please please give me an election - oh go on you puff". Laughably pathetic to anyone who has been paying attention.
I really hope that the opposition do not allow an election until after the end of October and they force him (Johnson) to go to Europe and ask for an extension (as he swore blind he would not do) and break his "We are leaving on 31st, do or die" promise ete
Saw Javid saying "We are stuck in an impasse, we need to go back to the country and ask them to decide.... with a GE" - but until the end of that sentence then it sounded as though he was gonna ask for another referendum, which would obviously make more sense - the problem with a GE to sort out Brexit is a) it could still return a parliament that can't deliver Brexit and b) how do Labour leavers or Tory remaners vote? c) It's not always clear how to interpret how party votes relate to Brexit - witnes the Euro elections where some people said that the results meant we "have to hurry up and deliver Brexit" and others said the opposite.

comelately

Wild Horses
Boris' Bro has deserted him now, just quit as a MP and Minister.

All this is very fun, and yes he's diminished right now, but Boris is going to be a tough nugget to flush. The only way Labour can get the most seats, never mind win an majority......is via a successful Brexit Party campaign. Corbyn needs Farage.

Boris may decide he needs him too though. In which case.......fuck.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I was just gonna go with "Johnson has resigned!" but you spoiled it....
I think they have to totally destroy Johnson's credibility by waiting until after Oct 31 - he made his whole leadership based on one promise, so if he fails on that he gonna look like a right bellend. I truly think that's the first step to flushing him.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Boris Johnson’s week:
Lost his Commons majority
Lost 22 conservative MPs (expelling 21)
Lost 3 votes in the House of Commons
Failed to get a general election
Had his own brother resign from the government
Its only Thursday
What's Friday, declare war on France?

comelately

Wild Horses
Understand though, it's a humiliation that many Brexiteers will take very, very, personally.

krustyiscoming.jpg

And yeah, it will push them towards Farage. Which short-term may be necessary. Longer-term......eep.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I'm not worried about Farage, I don't think he's winning new voters from the left, they're just moving back and forth from the Tories, UKIP, Brexit Party etc I think they are more likely to split the dickhead vote to be honest.
And if these people are hopping mad... good, fuck 'em.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Also, they seem to be realising that they can't just ignore the rules... not quite

Q: On the Andew Marr Show you could not say you would comply with the bill designed to stop a no-deal Brexit because you had not seen it. Now you have seen it, will you comply with it?*
Yes, says Gove.
Although Johnson seems to be saying he won't do it, I get the impression he wants to find a way out rather than just not do it. I think the Tories at the moment are literally just lying to the public with things like "surrender bill" and so on, and basically hoping people are so ill-informed they vote for them anyway. Classic demagoguery I guess.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Asked about Jo Johnson’s resignation at business questions, Jacob Rees-Mogg, the leader of the Commons, said MPs were used to the idea that people within families might disagree on policy. He pointed out that his own sister, Annunziata, had jointed the Brexit party and got elected as an MEP"
Leading to the obvious joke,

"Totally different policies, one is a member of a scarcely relevant hard right single issue party dedicated only to delivering the hardest possible Brexit whatever the cost to the country - and the other is Annunziata Rees-Mogg"