IdleRich

IdleRich
Arcuri - there's a thread on Twitter that I'm not sure has gone viral yet - allegedly the money flowing through her went to fund far-right events in the US, featuring people like Yiannopoulos, with links to Bannon. Effectively Johnson was ethically laundering UK government money through her (so they say!). As you say, it might be a scandal on a totally different level to how it was initially presented. Of course, we'll have to wait for substantiation of the allegations, but apparently it's in the public realm already - the person posting said he'd had three journalists contact him already, cos they couldn't use Google properly to find this out.
Yeah I read this. Guardian today are saying he thinks he can legally refuse to attend the hearing by the mayor's office cos he's prime minister but they don't seem to agree for some reason.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
glad i didn't imagine it, read it bleary-eyed late last night. I'm not sure how explosive it will prove tho' - he is openly part of the far right, and a large number of people just don't care. As with Trump.

IdleRich

IdleRich
They wouldn't if he was in the final of the Champions' League despite domestic form. Losing parliamentary votes is something he hopes to transform into an advantage, by upping the ante on people vs parliament. I'm hopeful he's overshot on this, but I reckon it's still the endgame
Well, the analogy doesn't totally hang together... but tell that to Di Matteo. I agree that that is the tactic - but it's difficult to spin a defeat on having a Tory party conference as some kind of establishment blow to the little guy.

IdleRich

IdleRich
glad i didn't imagine it, read it bleary-eyed late last night. I'm not sure how explosive it will prove tho' - he is openly part of the far right, and a large number of people just don't care.
But if he was illegally giving money to a company that is not even based in the UK which was in turn giving it to far-right speakers - all cos he was shagging the head of the company (is that the implication?) and lying about their relationship on official documents then it doesn't look good.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
(post before last) Logically totally correct, but logic is not the game any more. An alumni of Eton is presenting himself as a man of the people and it's working, to the point where few point it out now. As Paul Mason said yesterday, Hannah Arendt spoke of the alliance of the elites and the mob in Nazi Germany. It's a pragmatic alliance, and doesn't rely upon political content, other than achieving the task at hand.

Arcuri - agree entirely that it looks appalling, but Rees-Mogg has a hedge fund (?) that is betting against this country's collapse and no Brexiteer/alleged 'patriot' cares. Everything is selective now.
Btw, think the implication is that the scandal is not really to do with sex as such - he wanted the money to get to the far right, and was just using her as a (willing) conduit for that. Whether they were having sex is by the by (I think)

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Arcuri - agree entirely that it looks appalling, but Rees-Mogg has a hedge fund (?) that is betting against this country's collapse and no Brexiteer/alleged 'patriot' cares. Everything is selective now.

Isn't JRM betting exactly on the collapse of the pound/whole economy?

(sure that's what you meant)

IdleRich

IdleRich
I was watching a debate on telly yesterday and was amazed to hear someone describing - with no hint of irony - both Trump and BJ as fighting against the elites.

DannyL

Wild Horses
Was talking about Labour MPs who I like and would consider voting for in the other thread. Jess Phillips is on fire here:

ttps://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1177181549579649024

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
She's very good (and also I feel extra affection for her since moving to Birmingham - met a couple of people who work for her, and apparently she is very decent in person too). I'd vote for any Labour MP under a decent domestic manifesto (which they definitely will have after the conference - I appreciate misgivings about Corbyn's stance on international issues, but within the party there's a huge range of views on that), don't care who they are really and whether I like them personally. But the whole constituency voting system is so archaic and miserably useless anyways - that we're even talking about protest votes in safe Labour seats is a condemnation of a wretched system.

On a positive note, this crisis has really demonstrated how many good people there are in the HoC, and how many powerful speakers with something constructive to say. If it survives this brutal attack on its sovereignty, I'd wager that it will (eventually) emerge stronger than ever.

Last edited:

comelately

Wild Horses
Johnson's losing streak in the HoC is a badge of honour for him at this point.

Re: Arcuri. There may well be a lot going on there - I've seen some of the Twitter threads. However, as someone pointed out, Milo was part of the Silicon Roundabout scene, so it's not that surprising that you might find he was at some of these events. Some care is needed here - 'the truth' is probably interesting enough without people trying to link it to Mercer or whatever, which I don't think would be effective presentation at this point.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
fair enough point, but the question would have to be whether political scandals even work in the same way at this point in history. What kind of scandal would it actually take to get rid of Johnson through the weight of public disapproval?

comelately

Wild Horses
They of course don't. It's a war of attrition at this point. There's a lot of constituencies which are going to be won and lost on a few hundred votes. Hearts and minds.

And btw that means traditional Conservative voters. Time to suck it up and put on a smile. We're in this for the species boys and girls.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Agreed- as I said upthread, I think that Johnson will be defeated if those against him don't get diverted by the spectacle, acknowledge that nothing short of a general election defeat will likely get rid of him, and concentrate on the fight ahead, not being shocked every time he lowers the bar. He will sink as close to the absolute bottom as it takes.

Difficult to do, admittedly.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Yep. Big danger of outrage fatigue, as seen with Trump over the pond. Supporters responding with a laugh and "orange man bad" memes at every new instance of liberal revulsion. Loving him more fervently the more offensive, erratic and nonsensical he gets.

firefinga

fair enough point, but the question would have to be whether political scandals even work in the same way at this point in history. What kind of scandal would it actually take to get rid of Johnson through the weight of public disapproval?

A scandal today isn't a scandal any longer what it used to be - meaning in a fragmented media scenario, with scocial media thrown into the mix (and possibly, social media has eclipsed any other form of "old" media today regarding influence) there isn't even a common ground what constitutes a "scandal" today. If a politician has clearly done something unlawful, chances are better, but if he/she did something "immoral", but not against the law, it usually boils down to the personality structure of the person in question - meaning, if this person is stubborn as hell, he/she will just sit out any attempt to "scandalise". I don't know much about Johnson, but he doesnt strike me as someone very critical of himself and thus he will not resign unless he is absolutely cornered and has no support by his party at all any longer.

Last edited:

DannyL

Wild Horses
Twitter reporting a man just nicked for trying to break into Jess Phillips office in Birmingham, her staff locked themselves in. She's also disconnected phonelines to her Westminster number as too many abusive phone calls.

version

I was watching a debate on telly yesterday and was amazed to hear someone describing - with no hint of irony - both Trump and BJ as fighting against the elites.

It isn't wealth and status that makes someone 'the elite' to those people, it's wealth, status and liberalism. The latter being by far the most important. You could be the richest person in the world and they wouldn't call you an elite as long as you were bashing liberalism.