firefinga

I can't blame the EU for being a) sick and tired of the UK and b) keen to pressure parliament to let this pass now they've got Johnson to bend over and take it more than May ever did.

There will be a Brexit on October 31st. One way or the other.

IdleRich

IdleRich
About to get on a plane back but just on Juncker’s words on extension. EU source says: “It’s not in his gift to rule it out, he is just defending the deal and saying one shouldn't be needed...I am 100% certain EU27 would permit an extension if deal falls on Saturday.”
More like it...

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
But suppose it goes like this which seems plausible.
Saturday vote on deal - deal is defeated
Johnson writes to the EU asking for an extension as Benn Act demands.
EU reject request.
So UK is going out with no deal in ten days or so... there is no way to do a referendum in that time. Is straight revoke even possible?

Yeah, tbh I don't know the answer to that.

Ah OK, re your second post - I thought it had to be bluster to some extent, shoring up his own personal position in being seen to vigorously defend this deal. Who makes the EU decision on these issues anyways - Juncker can't do it unilaterally for sure

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Me too.

I agree that UK is a long way away from revoking atm, but this kind of talk from the EU could rapidly make things even more polarising, pushing more people towards backing a referendum if the deal is rejected on Saturday (?)

Ha! So this mess is all the EU's fault after all, just like the Telegraph has been telling us all this time!

IdleRich

IdleRich
And there's this....

Campaigning anti-Brexit QC Jolyon Maugham has now lodged his petition at the court of session in Edinburgh, which essentially tries to ban parliament from debating the new Brexit deal, on the basis that it is illegal, and which he anticipates will be heard tomorrow.
Maugham believes that the deal contravenes s55 of the Taxation (Cross-border Trade) Act 2018, which states that it is “unlawful for Her Majesty’s government to enter into arrangements under which Northern Ireland forms part of a separate customs territory to Great Britain”.
With the detail of Boris Johnson’s new deal still emerging, lawyers insist that s55 is “crystal clear” and that any form of differentiated deal for Northern Ireland will contravene it.
It's all piling up these next few days.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I hate to say it, but all this stuff about how the government has to abide by this Act or obey that law reminds me of Ned Stark handing Cersei the dead king's will and watching her tear it to pieces and then have him arrested.

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
MPs will not see any official economic analysis of the impact of Boris Johnson’s Brexit deal before they vote on it on Saturday, Downing Street has confirmed, with such documents only being produced subsequently.
Great, they can't even scrutinise the details of (potentially) the most important deal in my lifetime before they vote on it. I know it's obviously bollocks anyway but that's absolutely ludicrous. Every now and again I step back and look at this situation and it is COMPLETELY FUCKING INSANE. I have this fantasy where someone stands up in the house of commons and just shouts "Wake up everyone, look what we're doing" and they all look at each other and come out of their trance and go "Oh yeah, he's right, let's revoke now" and they all vote for it even Jacob Cunt-Cunt.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
The last three years have been like being a little kid and seeing one of your parents totally lose it about something for the first time. Except instead of pulling themselves together they've just got worse and worse.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
I just don't understand how Labour MPs can be thinking about voting for this deal. Surely whatever their views on Brexit or however their constituency voted, they can see that passing the deal is probably going to end up putting a bunch of far-right goons in power at a time that's going to define the direction of the country for decades? How can anyone who even pays lip service to left-wing politics think that's a price worth paying?

IdleRich

IdleRich
My thoughts exactly Slothrop. And why isn't Corbyn threatening to withdraw the whip? He should be bringibg every possible ounce of pressure to bear. Any Labour mp who votes for the deal should be kicked out of the party, tarred and feathered... and then shot

version

I just don't understand how Labour MPs can be thinking about voting for this deal. Surely whatever their views on Brexit or however their constituency voted, they can see that passing the deal is probably going to end up putting a bunch of far-right goons in power at a time that's going to define the direction of the country for decades? How can anyone who even pays lip service to left-wing politics think that's a price worth paying?

Also if it goes terribly then it takes the heat off the Tories as they can point to Labour voting for it too.