Page 87 of 91 FirstFirst ... 37778586878889 ... LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,305 of 1356

Thread: UK EU Referendum Aftermath

Quote Originally Posted by IdleRich View Post
    I've been seeing a lot of polls these last few days, they contradict and so on but overall I'm getting the impression that a Tory win isn't as certain as I thought. Is it just me or what?
    The Tories under Johnson definitely command the support of less than half of voters, but there is no single bloc (either extant or feasible) that commands anything like that level of support. Corbyn is far less popular than he was in the run-up to the 2017 GE, when he wiped the smile off May's face by destroying her majority but still couldn't actually shift the Tories out of government. So the problem is that the progressive anti-Brexit vote is split between people who will still vote Labour despite Corbyn's pro-Brexit stance (never mind the party's other problems), people who will vote Lib Dem despite the fact that they're pretty much the unofficial Remain wing of the Tory party these days, and people voting Green (in England) and nationalist (elsewhere).

Whereas the only party that is really any sort of rival to the Tories for pro-No-Deal votes in BXP, in the event that it decides to field actual candidates for Westminster.
    Last edited by Mr. Tea; 09-09-2019 at 09:08 PM.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Quote Originally Posted by IdleRich View Post
    Bercow stepping down now.... oh dear
    Hmm, that's probably not good. Isn't it usual that the Speaker has to come from the opposition party, though? I mean, is it a law or is it just a tradition that the government is free to ignore if it wants to?

(I know Bercow was a Tory before becoming speaker but he's been in the job since 2009, in the dying days of the last Labour govt.)
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Yeah but apparently the Tory's own polling is showing that they are gonna have even fewer seats than after May's election. Will they be able to form a majority with the Brexit party? How many seats will they get? No-one knows what is gonna happen at all.
    Also, I've just seen that France are gonna insist on a two year extension... can they do that?
    And parliament shuts for five weeks tomorrow, it's just awful! How am I gonna entertain myself? Er, and it's a terrible affront to democracy obviously.

I would suggest rewatching some GoT, but I fear even Littlefinger's chicanery is going to look a bit tame compared to what's been going on in this country just recently.

Where is the Remain side's Varys/Tyrion? That's what I want to see.

Normally the convention is that the speaker comes from the opposition party I think - though I've also read that it's convention that they alternate, going Tory/Lab/Tory etc both point to a Labour speaker. But that is just convention, ultimately it's decided by secret ballot. Though by stepping down now Bercow has guaranteed that the next speaker will be voted for by this minority parliament rather than the next one, which means it will be harder for the government to install a pro-brexit puppet... though on the other hand, next parliament they could probably elect a new-new-speaker as it's only convention that would prevent that too...

More amazing stuff, they are debating now on whether the government should be forced to release documents relating to the poro.... thingy, but if the below is true the result doesn't matter

Labour MP Chris Leslie tells Grieve that No.10 is currently briefing reporters that "under no circumstances will No10 staff comply with Grieve's demands regardless of any votes in parliament". Extraordinary.
    What the fuck is going on?

A lot of SIM cards will be going in the bin right about now. Cummings is probably going round Westminster ripping out payphones. Nick Clegg's probably getting a few phone calls

In other news: Backstop's Back, Alright! We even have Andrew Bridgen saying it might be acceptable if NI get a vote on it.

Re: the general election maths. The Torys have a better idea what seats they're likely to lose than what seats they'd be likely to win. The way things are going (see above), it isn't looking like Boris wants that Brexit Party pact. The Brexit Party themselves have announced one of their few policies - abolish inheritance tax. As Jess Phillips pointed out, that's a policy aimed at Surrey not Northern Labour constituencies. However disgruntled Labour voters in those constituencies who aren't really sure they ever want to vote Tory have a protest option in the Brexit Party.

I'm really not sure Farage wants this Brexit.

On top of everything else, I find it completely staggering that Johnson can describe the result of the referendum as "Emphatic" - just amazes me even now.

don't be amazed, rich. like trump, he's just a shameless liar who will say anything at any time if he thinks it's in his best interest. it's not that these guys are stupid or "don't get it", they are just narcissistic pathological liars.

So weird that cos of convention you cannot call someone a liar in the house of commons - even if they lie right to your fact.
    Anyway, Johnson just failed in his second attempt to have an election so that's good at least. Does that mean he has lost his first six votes? Ha - twat.
    Last edited by IdleRich; 09-09-2019 at 11:48 PM.

Boris Johnson is the first prime minister to have been found by a court to have misled a king or queen.

Rich has turned rage into a comic art form in this thread.

Now one of - count 'em - 17 threads graced with the "*cums in a sock*" tag.

This is a complete outlaw government now, threatening to disobey two orders of parliament and now the courts....
    Unbelievable that they are battling so hard simply not to sit in parliament.
    Last edited by IdleRich; 11-09-2019 at 12:39 PM.

But you're right Craner, I am a little miffed about the whole thing.