Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Cameron didn't really want a Brexit though, did he, he just had to promise he'd hold a referendum on it to appease the Eurosceptic wing of his party (and to appeal to UKIP voters). Even pro-Brexit campaigners like BoJo probably didn't count on winning.

I don't know if there's a pro-business argument for Brexit. The corporation I work for sent out an email in support of Remain before the vote. I would guess that the Tories in favour of leaving the EU were inspired by a mixture of good old fashioned xenophobia and a wish to get even more power than they already have.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
possibly, but then again, and i dont know whose money was going where, an argument i heard a lot in australia from rich peoples wives, was weve got too many regulations how can we compete with china, our wages are too high, so im wondering if there was a buisness argument for brexit from that angle.

Australia has lots of primary industry and the UK doesn't. My dad always goes on about 'competing with China' and it does my head in. The UK doesn't make TVs and iPhones, and China doesn't have world-famous universities or cutting-edge R&D firms. We don't grow rice and they don't make scotch whisky and cheddar cheese.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
The UK doesn't make a lot of stuff -- stuff that it used to make quite ably. Why?

The UK obviously isn't the manufacturing superpower it once was, but it still exported well over half a trillion quid's worth of stuff last year. That's quite a lot of stuff. It's a widespread myth that this country is basically finished as a manufacturing economy.

Edit: of course that's still chicken feed compared to China, but my point was that the UK, in common with many other mature developed economies, isn't even attempting to compete with China. There are things they can do that we can't, and vice-versa.

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Well yes, there's far less heavy primary industry - the sort of thing China excels at - than there used to be. I never said otherwise.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
48178d7c60e7afbbd1ee966782688f589862daa3bc2585a463d1cd74aba75a85.jpg

comelately

Wild Horses
The underlying trigger appears to be the creeping admission that there probably isn't a good trade deal to be done with the EU. Alexis Tsipras brought them a referendum mandate; the EU wiped their arse with it and made him eat it.

That leaves 'WTO Rules', but when you take a look at the detail one can see that this ain't really gonna butter any parsnips. And Trump looks like he intends to undermine it anyway. We don't have the negotiators, or the goodwill. Kippers think trade deals can be done over a pint, but they are mistaken.

Take the poll in a few days and I suspect it might be 52-48 the other way.

This is an article from the Leave side from last year (quickly updated today lol, but the main thrust is still the same) - http://leavehq.com/blogview.aspx?blogno=128

One can say, unequivocally, that the UK could not survive as a trading nation by relying on the WTO Option. It would be an unmitigated disaster, and no responsible government should allow it. The option should be rejected.

droid

I was reading about the WTO default a while ago - its not a default at all is it? Its hundreds of separate complex agreements that would have to be renegotiated.