Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
A certain poetic appeal to the end of May coming by the end of May... but I seem to recall people saying the same thing last year.

IdleRich

IdleRich
So they are now saying she (May) may abandon this unpopular bill. Crace had it exactly right when he said that she has this kinda indomitable inflexible front.... right up to the moment she suddenly caves and reverse-ferrets by 180 degrees. And it's true, every time.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Saw on fb

Whoever you are, whatever you believe politically, whatever you feel is right for our future, however you choose to vote today, remember: Whatever the result, the government will say,"This is a clear sign that the British public want us to get on with delivering Brexit."

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Yeah, it's so fucking predictable.

Views on this, anyone?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48384000

EU citizens living in the UK have told of their anger after they were unable to vote in the European elections.

The Electoral Commission said the "very short notice" from the government about the UK's participation in the elections had an impact on the process.

EU citizens can vote in the country they live in by registering to vote and completing a UC1 form.

But many complained of receiving the form late and of it not being processed by their local authority in time.

Genuine cock-up or voter suppression?

IdleRich

IdleRich
Got a Spanish friend saying cock up. Not that she's not pissed off about it and feels more rejected by the shitty country.

version

Apparently that veteran who was 'milkshaked' on election day was a para who was acquitted by diplock court on charges of attempted murder after shooting an unarmed civilian in NI in '74.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I missed that whole episode.
Anyway, it seems that May has said that she will do one on the 7th of June. As it happens, we are dj-ing in Lisbon that night (Le Baron, Rua Nova Trinidade, pm me for guest list) - maybe we should do a special themed Fuck Off Theresa May night or something. As we all know though, her leaving isn't much to celebrate. The question is, how much damage can her successor do if parliament won't agree on any policy. How will he force things through? Or is the fear that a more powerful leader will be able to persuade people to agree and fuck us all in the arse?

version

I missed that whole episode.

It looked staged to me. It wasn't even a milkshake, it was clearly a yoghurt, and there was no spray at all, the whole thing was down the front of his shirt and in his lap. There were also no witnesses and he tried to wave away a police investigation.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
It looked staged to me. It wasn't even a milkshake, it was clearly a yoghurt, and there was no spray at all, the whole thing was down the front of his shirt and in his lap. There were also no witnesses and he tried to wave away a police investigation.

Probably a false-flag by the White Helmets with help from ISIS/Mossad to try and make Jeremy Corbyn look bad.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Matt Hancock is trying to paint himself as the saviour of the NHS but - inevitably - he's as compromised as any of them are by donations from orgs representing interests that would benefit from it being trashed.

Or bribes, rather.

Leo

This talk of the NHS being "on the table" was inevitable.

he's just trying to get a rise, not sure I'd worry about it. he says extreme shit all the time that he never follows through on, he just gets off on working the media and politicians up into a frenzy.

comelately

Wild Horses
A No Deal moves an United Ireland from being 'the thing we're not really supposed to talk about' to 'very realisable in the 2020s'. I'm not overly convinced Sinn Fein aren't kinda pleased at the turn of events.

craner

Beast of Burden

It's hard to gauge exactly how much power Dominic Cummings actually has, but if the hyperventilating press is to be believed (and secretly they love him) and taking into account how indolent and hands-off his boss is, it seems to be a lot. Cummings is an intellectual adventurer. We are about to witness, and some of us are about to experience, a unique political experiment. Apart from the fact that it is likely to blow up our personal assets and security, you could almost sit back, open the popcorn and enjoy the show. This is what it would be like if Vimothy was the most powerful person in the country.

droid

The Chicago boys all over again except without the patina of economic credibility.

Luckily there's plenty of football Stadia available.

version

It's hard to gauge exactly how much power Dominic Cummings actually has, but if the hyperventilating press is to be believed (and secretly they love him) and taking into account how indolent and hands-off his boss is, it seems to be a lot. Cummings is an intellectual adventurer. We are about to witness, and some of us are about to experience, a unique political experiment. Apart from the fact that it is likely to blow up our personal assets and security, you could almost sit back, open the popcorn and enjoy the show. This is what it would be like if Vimothy was the most powerful person in the country.

He's a strange one. He's right about a lot of things like the ERG being fucking awful, the Tory party being full of people who don't care about the NHS, poor people and so on and hating Farage, but then he's also a bit of a bastard himself.

I keep meaning to read his blog, but still haven't gotten round to it - https://dominiccummings.com/

droid

So Corbyn puts forward a proposal to depose Johnson, avoid a no deal brexit and allow a second ref with remain on the table and the lib dems say no.

Centrist opposition to brexit somes second to maintaining the neo-liberal status quo.

DannyL

Wild Horses
A sentiment I agree with. Also, no one trusts Corbyn not to wreck Remain's prospects and undermine a referendum once in power.

Cummings blog is very interesting at points though he seems to spend a lot of time very angry at things being done slowly - for which you might read cautiously.

Most succinct comment I've read about him was "Of course Cummings is a Taleb fan. Of course he is".