Quote Originally Posted by droid View Post
If they get in via a November or spring election I imagine their first move would be to negotiate an extension of article 50. If that happens I think there would either be a second referendum or, more likely a deal that includes the custom union and a soft Brexit.

The calculation at the moment is whether they can afford to alienate the UKIP & Leave contingent they picked up last time. Presumably the vast majority of hardcore remainers will stick with them despite the ambiguity, because there's no real alternative. Ideal scenario is for EU pressure to force a Tory split with the DUP and bring down the govt in October.
I've always read the Lab leadership's opposition to Brexit as part of their hostility to neo-liberalism i.e. political rather than the about electoral triangulation. Maybe I'm wrong about this, I don't know - the Ian Dunt article I've linked above suggests as much, saying that the "cap on spending limits" argument is bollocks. Anyway, I thought electoral triangulation was mere Blairite Devilry, and it was about sticking to your principles?