IdleRich

IdleRich
I really can't make up my mind what happened here was it...
a) That wanker (and he is a wanker) Williamson leaked from the meeting, got caught and fired and now his bleating about how it wasn't him and him swearing on his kids' lives is just more bollocks from a master of the art
b) For once Williamson is telling the truth. He wasn't guilty and has been bounced out by an investigation that wasn't thorough or official. The level of investigation was chosen deliberately in that it's official enough to fire him but not official enough that he can appeal or even complain about the process.
The vehemence of his denials almost have me veering towards the latter. It does kinda seem that there is something funny going on. Fucking tories.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Tom Watson:

In response to receiving the most brutal sacking I can think of [Williamson] has protested his innocence. Therefore this matter cannot be, as the prime minister says, closed.
The essential point here is the prime minister has sacked the secretary of state for Defence because she believes there is compelling evidence that he has committed a crime. But despite that, she does not believe he should face a criminal investigation - where is the justice in that?
In what world is it acceptable that the prime minister should be the arbiter of whether a politician she believes is guilty of criminal conduct in office should face a criminal investigation?

IdleRich

IdleRich
Some Tory:

Outside this house [Williamson] is being called a liar. And inside this house a number of honourable members have implied as much. Natural justice demands that the evidence be produced so that his reputation can be salvaged or utterly destroyed, doesn’t it?
I agree with all this.

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
The only thing I can think of is that sacking him but failing to provide actual evidence that could be used in a prosecution is being used as a cover-up for something potentially even more damaging to the government than the defence secretary leaking sensitive information to a national newspaper.

Still, at least he's got that career as a matinee idol to fall back on.

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
Well, exactly, something even more damaging....
Then again, when GW says this

"he would like a police investigation but has no mechanism by which to force one. He told me an investigation would exonerate him because "the reporter's notepad would show that I didn't say anything" and PM would offer an apology"
It's kinda convenient no?

version

I doubt his reputation would be "utterly destroyed", Liam Fox is the current Secretary of State for International Trade and Priti Patel is doing alright.

IdleRich

IdleRich
There seems to be a kind of consensus of opinion that his actions are somehow worse than those of all the other scumbags in the government at the moment. When you combine that with the fact that we're expected to just accept it as true, whereas with (for example) Liam "the shit" Fox he was caught bang to rights and has never contested his guilt (cos he was guilty as sin) you can see why Williamson might feel aggrieved. Basically he's been convicted of a more serious crime with a much lower level of evidence. Or at least, that's one way of seeing it and that's definitely his version of events.

version

I wouldn't be surprised if he did it, but it feels like it runs a bit deeper and somebody has it in for him.

IdleRich

IdleRich
That's my thinking too... although maybe I just want that to be true and there to be yet more hilarious infighting in the Tory ranks.
Put it this way though, if it actually was him and yet he is still protesting his innocence all over the shop, swearing up and down that he didn't and would never do it... then he really is more of a wrong 'un than I previously thought. To say the least.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Who knows? I'm not a big conspiracy theorist. Normally these things are incompetence. Most likely May saw something that convinced her, acted too quickly, realised she was wrong and (once again) tried to plough ahead and declare the matter closed rather than admit that and deal with it properly. I don't think there was some big scheme against him if that's what you're asking.

IdleRich

IdleRich
So May delivering her speech in parliament and no Tories there to watch her. Seems the cabinet may be getting ready to get rid of her this afternoon.... or that's what people are speculating anyhow.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Oh good, Totes Ledge Bozza for PM by dinnertime. Ugh.

I can't recall a situation where someone has been so manifestly terrible at such an important job and yet, all things considered, probably the least awful person who could feasibly occupy it.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I think the replacements are worse but May is just draaaaaggging this whole farce out and it will never end. Something has to happen at some point doesn't it? I don't get how they are saying Boris would force a No Deal Exit if he came into power - surely parliament has blocked doing it deliberately? I mean he could kinda deliberately slide to it by default I guess but I don't get that that's what they mean.