Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Competition

Default Competition

I believe in competition. I don't think anyone gets really good at anything without it. You need young lions trying to kill old lions. You need young lions trying to kill each other.

It's problematic though if you set up a competition to be a greedy vicious cunt cos you will breed some really elite greedy vicious cunts

#politics #viewpoints #politiphilosophy #mydeepthoughts

This sounds like something someone who has a pair of samurai swords on their living room wall would post on Reddit.

Edit: "their"? I mean "his", obviously.
    Last edited by Mr. Tea; 03-07-2016 at 01:50 PM.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Extensive personal library of volumes on military history.

Is a major contributor to Wikipedia articles about nuclear weapons and the Cold War.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Basically Vimothy, right?

Quote Originally Posted by vimothy View Post
    Oi!
    Heh, sorry mate!

I think competition is ok but it obviously depends on what is being competed for and what the potential outcomes might be for winners and losers.

I'm not really a fan of a society which is based around competing for money and the cost of losing is starving to death.

But I'd suggest that even in a society which was based more on co-operation there might be all sorts of competitions which could harness people's creativity for the good of humanity.

People could compete to find new and exciting ways to reduce the amount of drudge labour in the world, and to maximise pleasure, for example.

And with their newly available leisure time, I reckon people would still compete with their mates to come up with the best music, sporting achievements, stupidly boastful tales etc.
    Last edited by john eden; 04-07-2016 at 11:00 AM.

i dont like winning and i dont like losing which makes one on one sports like tennis particularly difficult for me.

reminds me of that film whiplash

the old abusive teacher/drummer says (im paraphrasing) the student kid near end, 'you kids today think its all about encouragement, and positive feedback... that wont help you become better'

you need something to motivate you. and simply being told that youre good doesnt really give you much to try and beat.

everyone just 'trying to be the best that they can be' - does that really propel anyone to be better? to do things better?

im on the fence
    Last edited by rubberdingyrapids; 04-07-2016 at 11:38 AM.

but competition in art say, is more benign. usually a case of fuck, i cant beleive they done that i have to find a way to match it, whereas sports like tennis are wars of attrition the goal being to grind another mans will down to iron filings

Quote Originally Posted by rubberdingyrapids View Post
    reminds me of that film whiplash

the old abusive teacher/drummer says (im paraphrasing) the student kid near end, 'you kids today think its all about encouragement, and positive feedback... that wont help you become better'

you need something to motivate you. and simply being told that youre good doesnt really give you much to try and beat.

everyone just 'trying to be the best that they can be' - does that really propel anyone to be better? to do things better?

im on the fence
    I think this has been adequately addressed here:
    http://www.dissensus.com/showthread.php?t=7256

i dont think that drilling style of teaching helps anyone TBH

you need to ground a child with positive encouragement

but balance it with ways to make them work harder

difficult thing to do obv