Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: The Chilcot Inquiry

Also I do take Baboon's point about people implicitly voting for leaders (and stuff like the presidential tv debates).

I think ultimately that my position is that there is a very slim chance that the Labour party can be reformed. And it's distressing to see so many good people investing their time and energy in that when we should be building up power outside of Westminster instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post
    I suppose one answer is that supranational organizations such as the League Of Nations and later the UN (perhaps also NATO, the EU, whatever) have greater authority than a single state, or even a 'collection of states', in saying to an offending state "Stop behaving like that".
    Right, that's the present approach. A group of states has banded together to impose a set of legal norms on the rest of the international order. Obviously this relies on the threat of violence as the ultimate sanction. (And notice that in no sense are these treaty organisations independent of the interests of their constituent states, which gives rise to the charges of hypocrisy often levelled at such institutions.)

Quote Originally Posted by baboon2004 View Post
    Is Freedland one of the worst journalists of all time? Exhibit

nasty.

the 'all a game' idea seems true of many recent journalists to me. Career is more important then convictions, so resigning on principle is unthinkable. Reading more Freedland, it is v difficult to get to what he actually might believe about anything. Everything is always oppositional.
    Last edited by baboon2004; 14-07-2016 at 04:52 PM.

Ol' long John is wringing his hands,
    At entryist corbynites' evil plans,
    To drape the party 'neath their caul,
    Uncle Joe would've put them against the wall.

Wouldnt normally x-post from twitter, but these need to be preserved for posterity.

We should do an anthology.

I was just thinking that! Need more Martin though.

Quote Originally Posted by droid View Post
    I was just thinking that! Need more Martin though.
    I think it's high time 'Ian Town' made a reappearance!
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    i heavent heard from craner since a day or two before this report came out. im actually a bit worried. he hasnt been on facebook or on dissensus or even on his intagram account. no one has heard from him. actually a bit worried about him. hes held onto his support for the war so doggedly. in a way he staked his reputation on it. hes always used is real name online in a way the rest of us would never dream of doing. i hope hes ok and can finally admit to being wrong. i think we can all agree we would think no less of him were he to do that.
    Hes still alive anyway - he unfollowed me on twitter the other day.

He contacted me yesterday to say he's alive but admitted Chilcot was difficult for him and said his Internet personna had taken on a life of his own and he's having an identity crisis and needs to cut off from the Internet while he works out who he is and what his values are. He said to tell everyone there was too many boring remarc tunes in the jungle poll and he didn't vote for them and shouldn't be blamed.

I feel personally slighted by his unfollow. It was a casual discarding of an unprecedented thaw of relations. I did everything I could to prepare his psyche in the weeks leading up to Chilcot - even taking the risk of tainting my impeccable reputation with repeated ad hominem and incessant haranguing.