The Chilcot Inquiry

john eden

male pale and stale
And war crimes (a very specific one in this case) are one of the few cases where the chances of executing an innocent are slim to none (in comparison to criminal cases where it is inevitable).

Hard to disagree with that.

sadmanbarty

Droid, your opposition to the war is based on what might have happened had we not invaded.

I think a Syria style situation is more likely than some of the "mights" you suggested.

vimothy

yurp
Eh, no. It is possible to have a system of international law without committing the specific and supreme crime of the launch of a war of aggression.

Only under a definition of aggression that is plainly self-serving, which is one of the problems of the current system.

droid

Droid, your opposition to the war is based on what might have happened had we not invaded.

I think a Syria style situation is more likely than some of the "mights" you suggested.

No, my opposition to war is based on the moral position that it is wrong to take human life without justification.

droid

Only under a definition of aggression that is plainly self-serving, which is one of the problems of the current system.

?

The Crime of Aggression is the crime of planning, initiation or execution of an act of aggression by a person in a position to exercise control over the political or military action of a State where the character, gravity and scale of such an act of aggression constitutes a manifest violation of the Charter of the United Nations.[1] An act of aggression is the use of armed force by a State against the sovereignty, territorial integrity or political independence of another State, or in any other manner inconsistent with the Charter of the United Nations.[1] Acts of aggression include invasion, military occupation, annexation by the use of force, bombardment, and military blockade of ports.[1]

droid

What you are suggesting is a minority report system for states, run by murderers.

sadmanbarty

What you are suggesting is a minority report system for states, run by murderers.

I'm not using this argument to justify the decision to go to war (the Arab Spring was of course almost a decade away).

But in retrospect, there is a good argument the war saved lives.

My argument may have very little real world application.

luka

barty, you are getting trounced. quite embaressing. vimothy, i dunno, you only speak in gnomic non sequiturs so i dont know how to judge your performance.

i wonder where craner is hiding out.

vimothy

yurp
For example, the whole project of destabilising secular middle eastern dictatorships and replacing them with secular liberal-capitalist democracies.

john eden

male pale and stale
CmsA0isXgAA8vye.jpg:large