Thread: Healthy lunch suggestions

Default Healthy lunch suggestions

The world is so depressing at the moment, need a break from all the heavy discussions with something utterly banal.

So...what are some reasonably healthy lunch options? My wife is a good pescaterian cook, so we do well at evening dinner but I want to eat better at lunch. My default over the years has been tuna salad sandwiches, but they're often made with too much mayonnaise (plus, I imagine my mercury level could probably use some reducing). Turkey sandwich on whole wheat is a boring option.

Any thoughts? Doesn't need to be anything large or complicated.

Penne (or any pasta) arrabiata. Make it like a bolognese/ragú sauce, only minus the meat of course, with chili in it or any other source of heat (e.g. paprika) and a bit more sugar than you'd usually use. Grated cheese on top, so (assuming you have access to a microwave) you can heat it up and it goes all melty and amazing. A version called putanesca (literally 'whore's sauce') is embellished with capers and anchovies.

You can make a butt-ton of the stuff at a time and freeze in batches, then use it as a pasta sauce by itself, as the basis for a spicy bolognese or chili con carne or use it top pizzas.

Are you into making fairly laborious dishes from scratch? I can type out my recipe for fish/seafood laksa if you like. Again, you can make the flavour base for the soup in large quantities and then refrigerate/freeze to be used whenever you like. Take it into work in a watertight container with a separate portion of mostly-cooked noodles, microwave all together in a bowl. You'll be the envy of your office!
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Pasta for lunch? Leave it out, you'll fall into a coma by 2

Just eat something nice. You're at work and 2016 is nuts.

Fatty steak, eggs, watercress with oily dressing, red wine if you're at home.

Stack of salami, saucisson, mustard hard cheese, gherkins, tomatoes, red wine if you're at work.

Best two lunches i had this week.

Had to settle for salted peanuts and a forecourt-bought cathedral city + pickle pack today
    Last edited by HMGovt; 08-07-2016 at 07:58 PM.

You lot disgust me. Don't eat meat at lunch. So unevolved

And drinking at lunch is fucking gross if you have to anything other than drinking for the rest of the day. Eat plants at lunch. With bread if you must.

Quote Originally Posted by HMGovt View Post
    Stack of salami, saucisson, mustard hard cheese, gherkins, tomatoes, red wine if you're at work.
    Aww HELLZ yeah!
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    So unevolved
    Unwittingly, you've nailed it.

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    And drinking at lunch is fucking gross if you have to anything other than drinking for the rest of the day. Eat plants at lunch. With bread if you must.
    One glass of Barolo is not drinking, it's chelation.