Healthy lunch suggestions

Leo

The world is so depressing at the moment, need a break from all the heavy discussions with something utterly banal.

So...what are some reasonably healthy lunch options? My wife is a good pescaterian cook, so we do well at evening dinner but I want to eat better at lunch. My default over the years has been tuna salad sandwiches, but they're often made with too much mayonnaise (plus, I imagine my mercury level could probably use some reducing). Turkey sandwich on whole wheat is a boring option.

Any thoughts? Doesn't need to be anything large or complicated.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Penne (or any pasta) arrabiata. Make it like a bolognese/ragú sauce, only minus the meat of course, with chili in it or any other source of heat (e.g. paprika) and a bit more sugar than you'd usually use. Grated cheese on top, so (assuming you have access to a microwave) you can heat it up and it goes all melty and amazing. A version called putanesca (literally 'whore's sauce') is embellished with capers and anchovies.

You can make a butt-ton of the stuff at a time and freeze in batches, then use it as a pasta sauce by itself, as the basis for a spicy bolognese or chili con carne or use it top pizzas.

Are you into making fairly laborious dishes from scratch? I can type out my recipe for fish/seafood laksa if you like. Again, you can make the flavour base for the soup in large quantities and then refrigerate/freeze to be used whenever you like. Take it into work in a watertight container with a separate portion of mostly-cooked noodles, microwave all together in a bowl. You'll be the envy of your office!

Fatty steak, eggs, watercress with oily dressing, red wine if you're at home.

Stack of salami, saucisson, mustard hard cheese, gherkins, tomatoes, red wine if you're at work.

Best two lunches i had this week.

Had to settle for salted peanuts and a forecourt-bought cathedral city + pickle pack today

Last edited:

luka

And drinking at lunch is fucking gross if you have to anything other than drinking for the rest of the day. Eat plants at lunch. With bread if you must.

Leo

since version has been bumping old threads, I'll update this one of mine.

for the past few months, my lunch has consisted of two slices of toast smeared with a generous dollop of hummus, four or five slices of cucumber on top of each piece of toast, salt and pepper. half-dozen baby carrots and baby tomatoes on the side. a pretty easy and healthy option, plus you can vary it with all different favors of hummus (my local market has at least a dozen varieties). sure beats processed sandwich meat every day.

BONUS FOOD INFO: for breakfast, was having a hard time finding a granola that didn't have lots of sugar and fat, so instead been putting about 1/2 to 2/3 cup of uncooked oats into plain yogurt, with half a banana sliced up and mixed in. tasty and filling.

I still enjoy greasy cheeseburgers on weekends but a healthy-eating mofo otherwise!

Last edited:

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
in the name of self flagellation i've been eating mcdonalds like a mofo lately. trying to reach a higher state.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
All reports ive received tell me that Brazilian food is so bad McDonalds is a special treat.

They BBQ with the best of em, so if meat's your thing then it's amazing. Almost Argentine level. Their base is rice n beans. Aside from that a lot of fried stuff. SP is a special case though. Absolutely mind blowing wealth disparity. Pretty much all the money is here. So things like helicopter traffic are a problem but that means you can eat really well. With the conversion rate, a top shelf meal with drinks is maybe 30 quid a head. It's got the biggest Japanese population outside of Japan, so it beats NYC for sushi. Actually a bit of a diner's goldmine. Haven't been outside of the city so I don't know about the rest of the country but the vibe I get from the locals is there's a big difference. Oh, and I've never seen so many 'gourmet' burger places in my life. McD's is kind of a dumb choice. But it get's delivered to your door and idk.. Something's wrong, but it tastes so right.