Nice and ongoing terror attacks in W Europe

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Why is it universally assumed that a shrinking population would be a bad thing? Europe's population crashed as a result of the black death and it was great for the people who survived, because the labour shortage meant they could demand better wages.

Obviously I'm not advocating mass death from a pandemic - I'll leave that to @mixed_biscuits, lol! - but most countries have at least some level of unemployment. Why do we need an ever-growing population?

Last edited:

version

I think it's because old people are living longer, so you end up with an elderly population and not enough people to keep things running and look after them.

version

Those millions of people are still spending money though. Maybe it'd be different in an economic system which wasn't predicated on infinite growth.

mixed_biscuits

If killing a human is bad, so is not creating a human, in the same way that destroying your partner's birthday present is no worse than not getting them one in the first place.

Also, we need to maximise humans created to generate more geniuses to solve climate change and Trump: if the UK had 5 million people, the best football player would be Harry Maguire, so think on.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
And life expectancy at birth was - very slowly - increasing for a long time, but it's plateaued in the last five years or so, and will start to fall soon, due to austerity and the obesity epidemic.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Those millions of people are still spending money though. Maybe it'd be different in an economic system which wasn't predicated on infinite growth.
That's what I'm getting at. There's an assumption that unlimited growth is both desirable and unavoidable. And that means growth in both economic and demographic terms.

mixed_biscuits

American babies are worse this generation than the last - before either austerity or crap food can get at them.

I hate to be blunt but we're getting clogged up with people who shouldn't be here.

version

Why are we talking about demographics anyway? I was more interested in people's thoughts on Macron's ultimatum. It's being presented on Twitter as him turning into Le Pen, a fascist and even equivalent to the Nazis' treatment of the Jews, but the article itself makes it sound a bit more measured.

This is how it was presented in the tweet that lead me to the article,
BBC News - France's Macron issues 'republican values' ultimatum to Muslim leaders. • Children will be given an IDENTIFICATION NUMBER to help locate them. • Imams must register. • No political actions as Muslims. Macron is going full Marine Le Pen
And this is how it's presented in the article,
On Wednesday he gave the French Council of the Muslim Faith (CFCM) 15 days to work with the interior ministry. The CFCM has agreed to create a National Council of Imams, which will reportedly issue imams with official accreditation which could be withdrawn. [...]

Late on Wednesday, the president and his interior minister, Gérald Darmanin, met eight CFCM leaders at the Élysée palace. "Two principles will be inscribed in black and white [in the charter]: the rejection of political Islam and any foreign interference," one source told the Le Parisien newspaper after the meeting. The formation of the National Council of Imams was also agreed upon.

President Macron has also announced new measures to tackle what he called "Islamist separatism" in France. The measures include a wide-ranging bill that seeks to prevent radicalisation. It was unveiled on Wednesday, and includes measures such as:

- Restrictions on home-schooling and harsher punishments for those who intimidate public officials on religious grounds

- Giving children an identification number under the law that would be used to ensure they are attending school. Parents who break the law could face up to six months in jail as well as large fines

- A ban on sharing the personal information of a person in a way that allows them to be located by people who want to harm them

version

One of the crucial points seems to me to be whether it's all children being given an identification number, or just Muslim children. The latter would be particularly shady.

luka

It's a choice to have a floating unemployed population vim will tell you. That's why punishing them is so morally abhorrent