Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Thread: Nice and ongoing terror attacks in W Europe

Hammer swinging is getting into fashion lately as well....

weird that all these arrests are just down the road.
    Last edited by rubberdingyrapids; 08-06-2017 at 12:28 PM.

Deadly knife attack in Hamburg supermarket...

white guy shoots and kills 58/injures 500 in las vegas and police rule out terrorism because, ya know, he's a white guy.

shooters "inspired by ISIS" are deemed terrorists; shooters inspired by racism/nationalism/general hatred etc. are depicted as "a lone wolf", a "local resident", probably had mental issues, etc.

and like clockwork, conservatives in congress and the NRA wheel out their "thoughts and prayers to the victims' families" and my personal favorite: "now is not the time to talk about gun control" lines.

what a fucking disgusting situation.

EDIT: not in western europe but didn't feel like starting a whole other thread for this one...
    Last edited by Leo; 02-10-2017 at 05:00 PM.

Ugh, fuck knows. I guess technically it isn't terrorism if there isn't an ideological motive beyond "I hate everyone and everything"? But perhaps he'll yet turn out to have left some pathetic fucking 'manifesto', as they so often do.

Edit: having said that, Dylann Roof had a political agenda that couldn't have been more explicit, and some cunts quibbled about calling him a terrorist even then.

It boggles the mind to think that people can continue to defend the USA's gun laws when shit like this happens again, and again, and again, and again...
    Last edited by Mr. Tea; 02-10-2017 at 05:37 PM.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

As others have pointed out, if America wasn't ready to do something about guns after Sandy Hook...

The paradoxical fallout of these attacks is not that guns are seen as more dangerous and so they are clamped down on, but that guns are so dangerous they need to be defended against with more guns.

The line I'm seeing most on Twitter is that 'criminals will find a way' to get guns even if they're illegal.

I can't imagine America ever doing anything about guns, especially with Drumpf in the driving seat. And so the mass shooting becomes another natural disaster - just hope you aren't swept up in one.

Quote Originally Posted by Corpsey View Post
    The paradoxical fallout of these attacks is not that guns are seen as more dangerous and so they are clamped down on, but that guns are so dangerous they need to be defended against with more guns.
    Yeah, I was thinking in the car just earlier when this was on the news again: Where were all the 'good gunmen', the armed citizens ready at a moment's notice to stop something like this as soon as it starts? And at the massacre before that, and the one before that, and the one before that...
    Last edited by Mr. Tea; 03-10-2017 at 10:07 AM.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

i read some comments from security at that concert, who had concealed carry permits and were armed. they said they couldn't fire back because the police hadn't figured out where the gunfire was coming from, so there was a high likelihood the cops would have mistaken the security guys for the gunman and start shooting AT THEM.

so much for the "good guy" theory.

The NRA guy on Radio 4 was definitely taking the position that people who want to kill people will find a way and NOT going for the "good gunman" position at all.

I assume this is because even he could see that a whole music festival audience shooting at a hotel was probably not a great tactic.

The best thing that can happen is that the culture in the US changes and it slowly become less and less acceptable to be a gun owner or at least to have a whole shed of automatic weapons. I think there is some move towards that but you'll always have a significant population who care about their inalienable right to weaponry above anything else.

According to this article, at least, guns are used to prevent and defend against crimes but comparatively rarely.

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/opini...619-story.html

Interesting that only a third of Americans own guns, even though there's enough guns in America to have one per person.

Quote Originally Posted by john eden View Post
    The NRA guy on Radio 4 was definitely taking the position that people who want to kill people will find a way and NOT going for the "good gunman" position at all.
    true, bad guys will always be able to get guns. but there's a disconnect with that argument because those bad guys (aka, criminals) don't commit mass shootings. those "bad guys" use their guns in the commission of crimes...robberies, car jackings, etc. mass shootings are typically committed by seemingly normal people who have anger issues, mental issues, etc. if tightened gun laws can prevent even one of those seemingly normal people from getting guns and going on a rampage, it's worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    true, bad guys will always be able to get guns. but there's a disconnect with that argument because those bad guys (aka, criminals) don't commit mass shootings. those "bad guys" use their guns in the commission of crimes...robberies, car jackings, etc. mass shootings are typically committed by seemingly normal people who have anger issues, mental issues, etc. if tightened gun laws can prevent even one of those seemingly normal people from getting guns and going on a rampage, it's worth it.
    Perhaps there is an overarching point here which is that if the bad guys are going to be able to get guns to commit a robbery that honest citizens should be able to get them too so they can defend themselves? I don't agree with that, but it is logical I guess.

The only problem is that mass shootings then become collateral - an unfortunate side show to the main event. A price worth paying...

Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    mass shootings are typically committed by seemingly normal people who have anger issues, mental issues, etc.
    Exactly - it's far more likely going to be someone who's never been in trouble before than some mean-looking guy with prison tats and a record sheet as long as his arm.

http://www.theonion.com/blogpost/sho...pass-its-57095

'As our nation struggles to come to grips with the horrible tragedy in Las Vegas, it’s only natural for people to search for an explanation of how an atrocity like this could have happened and to call on their elected officials to take measures to prevent such terrible bloodshed from occurring again in the future. Unfortunately, however, we’ve seen enough of these incidents to know that some people will rush to blame firearms for this carnage and will demand that Congress enact sweeping gun restrictions, engaging in misguided efforts that completely miss the underlying reasons behind the violence we’re seeing.

The simple truth is, mass shootings like this aren’t about gun control we refuse to pass. They’re about access to mental health care that we will continue to gut.'

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Corpsey For This Useful Post:

the questions remain: why do so many more people per capita have guns in the states versus anywhere else? and why do we have so many more shootings compared to anywhere else (...i guess cuz we have so many more guns, duh).

is it all due to the stereotypical macho/freedom-loving "don't tread on me" american psyche?