Jungle Poll Results

luka

Me, craner, droid, Barty, Corpsey, ach!, Reynolds... Who were the other two? Did benny b vote?

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Not me, I failed. :(

I guess with only ten ballots my votes could have been quite influential. But I maintain that I'm a no nothing when it comes to Jungle and it's for the best that I didn't get involved.

firefinga

I would have done a proper ballot if I had more time.

Thing is, being in my 30s, and not in the music biz work-wise, I simply don't have that much time to listen to music anymore in general. This hasn't to do with being pedantic, but jungle is the genre I possibly like most of em all, so I didn't want to just do some quick shot top 100.

In fact, I listened to so much jungle over the last two weeks or so again like back in the days when I was a teenager :D Rediscovering so many great tunes.... anyways, this was great fun. :cool:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
19) DJ Crystl- Warpdrive

Just an astonishing tune, proof that jungle could be as psychedelic as music can be, in the sense of conjuring aural hallucinations.

I always wonder if this sort of tune ever got played at the big jungle raves. I can't imagine Angels Fell was a big rave tune, more of a Metalheadz/Speed sort of tune. What an absolute spine-chilling masterpiece, though, with one of the most memorable bass sounds in jungle/musical history.

I have heard sets from Dreamscape/AWOL etc where Source Direct and Photek tunes were played so perhaps these artier takes on jungle weren't as ghettoised as I imagine.

Last edited:

droid

Warpdrive was RINSED everywhere. Photek, SD etc were rolled out all the time at Metalheadz & Speed.

droid

That was the great thing about jungle and what astounded me at the time - that all of these styles coexisted, and, for a certain time were played back to back.

sadmanbarty

I have heard sets from Dreamscape/AWOL etc where Source Direct and Photek tunes were played so perhaps these artier takes on jungle weren't as ghettoised as I imagine.

I get the impression that in 1994 raves like dreamscape and world dance were a 'maturation' of italo-piano, chipmunk vocal hardcore. So they played jungle tunes that had piano and sung vocals (just not of the italo/chipmunk varieties). The punters were mainly white, with a sizeable female contingent and still using ecstasy (so the ambient stuff complemented E).

Other raves were blacker, more male and skunk driven, with the music was more darkcore and ragga jungle.

Of course i imagine there was overlap.

Benny Bunter

Me, craner, droid, Barty, Corpsey, ach!, Reynolds... Who were the other two? Did benny b vote?

Yeah and I voted for every tune that's placed so far apart from the photek.

I remember people complained about the low turnout for the 00s nuum poll and there was like 20 voters that time *shrugs*

sadmanbarty

That was the great thing about jungle and what astounded me at the time - that all of these styles coexisted, and, for a certain time were played back to back.

That kind of timbral juxtaposition is definitely a huge plus for me; for example having a lush, warm, oceanic synth pad washing over you at the same time as having something very distorted and industrial totally battering your senses.

Footwork is another genre that does this.

luka

I think so yes. Roast and jungle fever were on the other side of the equation. Footage suggests there were plenty of women about though.

droid

You can look through the vids yourself, but I think the early rave scene was nearly as racially mixed as it could have been given the demographics.

luka

I haven't done a quantitative analysis of jungle rave footage or anything but my feeling was that different raves and different brands and different promoters attracted slightly different crowds albeit with massive overlaps