Too Old For This Shit (The Thread)

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Everyone remembers the extremely unsuccessful and embarrassing thread I started about what the kids/yoof listen to these days. The subtext to that thread, the repressed unconscious element, is now brought to light, like a cockroach caught in a torch-beam, by this thread, about getting too old for this shit.

The other thread having established that, for the most part, we're a bunch of old gits with boiled sweets in our pockets, it's now time to ask what effect that has on us.

My primary concern is that clubbing is over for me now. I am rather depressed about that cos clubs were at one point a place where I'd occasionally have a life-affirming, near religious, experience. I use the word 'religious' advisedly, because there was something worshipful about me in those halcyon days of yore. Now when I go to clubs I tend to stand near the back, nodding or shaking my head, unable to recapture that first fine careless rapture. Maybe I need to pick clubs better, I think, or maybe the DJs need to be better - or maybe the club is bad... But is it that? Or am I just clapped out? Is it time to retire to the armchair, to read first the newspaper, and then the philosophers, and contemplate death?

Lichen

Everyone remembers the extremely unsuccessful and embarrassing thread I started about what the kids/yoof listen to these days. The subtext to that thread, the repressed unconscious element, is now brought to light, like a cockroach caught in a torch-beam, by this thread, about getting too old for this shit.

The other thread having established that, for the most part, we're a bunch of old gits with boiled sweets in our pockets, it's now time to ask what effect that has on us.

My primary concern is that clubbing is over for me now. I am rather depressed about that cos clubs were at one point a place where I'd occasionally have a life-affirming, near religious, experience. I use the word 'religious' advisedly, because there was something worshipful about me in those halcyon days of yore. Now when I go to clubs I tend to stand near the back, nodding or shaking my head, unable to recapture that first fine careless rapture. Maybe I need to pick clubs better, I think, or maybe the DJs need to be better - or maybe the club is bad... But is it that? Or am I just clapped out? Is it time to retire to the armchair, to read first the newspaper, and then the philosophers, and contemplate death?

Don't give up dude.
I recaptured my mojo last weekend. First proper dance in years. The starts certainly has to align though.

firefinga

Part of getting older I guess... but then, what if today's youth music indeed sucks? :p

On a more serious note tho, I have the strong suspicion today's youth doesn't care as much about music as "we" did (In my mid 30s here). Which isn't a bad thing at all imo. They have other priorities, whether I like that or not. I am still interested in what they listen to and/or produce, and while I find lots of it to be somewhat enjoyable, not much really challenges me, or leaves me "wooooow" I need to get into the thick of THAT immediately.

Except for EDM, which left me "wooooow" in a more unpleasent way. But then, even EDM - as fuzzy as this "genre" designation is - is also a couple of years old by now.

rubberdingyrapids

its a sign of getting old that i am sure this thread has been made a few times in recent years (i think woebot did one first).

personally, im not sure that i even care about music, full stop, that much anymore (i was very excited about that proto-grime track from the wolverine game however, which could be a sign of things to come, that point when the only new things that you like are cos they remind you of old things you like/liked).

age does seem to have much more of a bearing on music than it does on enjoyment/participation in films and books.

which might be why i seem to read up more on films and books.

also a lot of what i hear/read about certain music just seems totally blown out of proportion to what i am actually hearing (like, gaika seems a very interesting person/thing to write about, but the music.... im not sure its all that special). then again, it seems a good time to be older and into new music, as a lot of 'cool' new music just seems like clever repackaging of old music (which i find a bit sad, but n/m). also its prob okay that i just prefer listening to old music.

Last edited:

Leo

a 50-year old friend of mine still frequently goes to shows and clubs, says invariably he gets kids coming up to him and to ask what he's selling. they seem baffled that a guy that age would be there for any reason other than to sell drugs.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I still love clubbing <I>in principle</I>.

What I'm not so keen on is entry prices for many decent nights gradually climbing north of first 15 and then 20 quid (once you've factored in the booking fee, card fee and not-getting-punched-in-the-face-when-you-arrive fee), five quid for a small can of poncy hipster lager, security staff who were clearly Gestapo in a past life and toilets that look and smell like those you'd imagine in a Congolese prison.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I actually went to a club in Manchester fairly recently and had a great time. It was all dancehall, rap, RNB, afrobeats though, not house and techno. Maybe I'm just annoyed that the 'mature' de facto choice for dance music is techno and house and I've never really been that into them.

The definitive take on somebody too-old being in the club:

IdleRich

IdleRich
I keep telling myself I will get back into clubbing - but I hardly ever go to be honest. Last time I went out properly was Puwaba a couple of moths back. I've always meant to go cos I know the people who run it but seeing it (positively) mentioned here too finally gave me the kick up the arse I needed. So Horton put me on the list, we got there at a good time, got fucked up and danced all night until kicking out time etc Had a great time, tried to persuade my girlfriend to go out the next night cos there was something I quite fancied on in Dalston - but she was too tired, said that just cos we enjoyed it it does't mean we immediately have to jump straight back into going out all weekend every weekend. So we didn't and I have't been out dancing since. What a lazy arse, it's so stupid cos I do really really enjoy myself when I do go as long as it's a good night (note here - I'm not someone who thinks that nothing is as good as it was in my day, I just mean something with a decent crowd, good vibe and hopefully some music I like (though ultimately the first two are maybe more important?!?!?!)). For some reason though I just seem to lack the energy of activation to get myself into the habit again. Of course money is a consideration cos if you do it properly clubbing has so many kinda peripheral expenses associated with it that it becomes one of the most expensive activities on earth. That said, I'm not exactly one for the megaclubs - I don't want massive places and huge crowds, just a dark sweaty room and some decks in a corner. In fact, as far as I'm concerned, the title of this thread is absolutely right as regards places such as Fabric and the like. I will never go to somewhere like that again except under duress - been stung too many times, tricked by great looking line-ups into giving them one last chance... but if there are more security there than Obama would need for a tour of Afghanistan I find it is impossible to have fun.
I digress though - this thread has inspired me, I'm gonna get my dancing shoes out and pick some good nights coming up and fucking 'ave it while I'm still just about young enough that (in the dark) I don't totally stick out like a sore thumb. Wish me luck....

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
How old are you, Corpsey? I thought you were about 27 or something, but maybe I'm thinking of someone else.

firefinga

I gave this a little thought again recently and I would feel totally out of place at clubs/raves today. I am in my mid30s btw. And I wouldn't go to any of those many "oldschool" events, either. And there's the "problem" if you will, bc I am still interested in today's (youth) music. But then, most of my listening experience nowadays is either in my car stereo or youtube clips/streams. Sad, isn't it?

john eden

male pale and stale
Hello I am 47 and off to see r&b pop sensation Kehlani at Village Underground tonight if anyone is up for it?

Full disclosure - I am only going to this because minors are not permitted to attend unaccompanied. My instructions are "to stand at the back and not be embarrassing".

I also went to Wireless last summer at Finsbury Park and that was quite fun also. It was good to see the Newham Generals and Ghetts and some of these young rappers that they have these days.

I also enjoy drinking weird beers whilst watching screechy electronics or free improv.

Leo

Leo was front row at the polices first ever concert so I doubt that

excellent memory, my lame claim to fame! it was their first US show (at cbgb), tho.

first show ever (maybe this should have a separate thread): queen/thin lizzy at providence civic center, feb 1977.

so yeah, i'm up there with you john.