The Dissensus Hardcore Poll Is Now Open

firefinga

IMO - and as written already in the jungle poll thread - 1993 was feeling and sounding very "jungle-y" (starting in autumn/fall '92 already actually), while you could make a case 1991 and 1992 still sounding much more alike (in general terms) as just a few months on. But then, even in 1993 breakbeat/early jungle you had 4 to the floor a lot still.

Anyways, If I cast a ballot, I'd do one for 1991/92 and a seperate one for 93.

But yeah, those big rave tunes (predominately)from Belgium (R&S label) got played by everyone in 91.

luka

Yeah sure but you wont cast a ballot you'll embark on some doomed quixotic project to list every tune released in January 1991, and then you'll start on February

sadmanbarty

Here's how I'll be distinguishing between Hardcore and Jungle for 1993 tracks (this doesn't apply for tracks from previous years). A hardcore track will contain one of the following qualities:

- Chipmunk vocals

- Staccato sample riffs

- Italo-house piano

- Mentasm

So for example this track is very Jungly, but the staccato sample riffs at 1.42 mean that I'll count it as Hardcore:

droid

Here's how I'll be distinguishing between Hardcore and Jungle for 1993 tracks (this doesn't apply for tracks from previous years). A hardcore track will contain one of the following qualities:

- Chipmunk vocals

- Staccato sample riffs

- Italo-house piano

- Mentasm

So for example this track is very Jungly, but the staccato sample riffs at 1.42 mean that I'll count it as Hardcore:

Im facepalming hard here.

Benny Bunter

i'd consider joining in on this but i'm so bad at remembering names, and there are so many tunes and styles, i don't think could do it properly. Luka's list looks great and probably contains most things i'd vote for.. I'd definitely be up for a uk garage poll though.

If i did vote, I'd probably put sweet harmony at number 1 for sentimental reasons