'nuum as cultural history of West Indian immigration

luka

its also to do with what people of other ethnicites find in/project onto black, specifically west indian culture. why it becomes a kind of meeting place/common ground for hype, nicky blackmarket, uk apache, smurf, darren jay etc etc

droid

Sure, but if influence is normally a gentle lapping of waves onto a beach, then house + ecstasy was a tsunami crashing into a coastline and drastically reshaping the landscape.

There was less assimilation and more being swept along in a churning torrent of phenomena.

luka

i dunno droid, thats well before my time and yours. maybe it was. i have a similar view of the 60s. that it was about the eruption of black culture into the mainstream. but you could also ascribe the 60s more to drugs than black culture. thats what i mean about how history works.

luka

in case its not obvious these are just talking points, for a discussion group, its not a dissertation im handing in to be marked. just the product of intuition, observation and speculation. its your job to help flesh it out.

luka

its pretty much the antithesis of kodwo. abuse me by all means but do it accurately

droid

True. Think I first encountered Gilroy via 'Further Considerations on Afrofuturism'.

rubberdingyrapids

there was a good docu on 6 music about carribean music last weekend. youd expect it to not be very interesting as gemma cairney was presenting it but it was actually very interesting.

i like that people are still discussing the ownership of fast chat.