Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: vimothy and the alt right

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    Breaking Bad is all about reclaiming masculinity
    Not to me, I thought it was rather about the betrayed (or the "we feel betrayed") and under pressure middle class. But then, I am old fashioned and regard "class" to be way more important than "gender" and all the other fancy modern mambo jambo.

Quote Originally Posted by vimothy View Post
    My opinion is that these amateurs could certainly take a few lessons in trolling from Luka
    Thanks mate!

Quote Originally Posted by firefinga View Post
    Not to me, I thought it was rather about the betrayed (or the "we feel betrayed") and under pressure middle class. But then, I am old fashioned and regard "class" to be way more important than "gender" and all the other fancy modern mambo jambo.
    ^typical cisbourgeois
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post
    ^typical cisbourgeois
    A badge I wear with honour

Pffft.

Surely it's only a matter of time before there's a Campaign to Destigmatize Self-Touch telling us we shouldn't be using 'wanker' and 'jerk-off' as insults, and a Parent-Child Love Acceptance League trying to discourage (or reclaim?) the word 'motherfucker', and...
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

And Fight Club before that, of course.
    I interpreted Fightclub differently as well, as a take on the lost ability to feel your body "directly", a call back to experience "reality" instead of prefabricated "reality" in mass media. Of course today, when bilions of people subsitute their real life with their artifical existance on twitter and facebook, Fight Club appears to be even more radical (at least to me).

10. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    Some good stuff here, although a few howlers too; in particular, Russia isn't "the enemy" as far as the alt-right is concerned, more like a friendly rival at worst - they see Putin running 'his' country the way they want Trump to run theirs.

This line is OTM:

...any effective movement against corporate capitalism must completely sever any links that it has to the Democratic or any other neo-liberal party, to the corporate media or any "alternative" media that functions only as its mirror...

Is 'cultural Marxism' a real thing? Does anyone described themselves as a cultural Marxist?

What I mean is: is there a real idea - perhaps an obscure concept of interest to a few left-wing philosophy professors - which the alt-right has blown up into this great existential threat to Western civilization, or have they conjured a bogeyman completely out of thin air?
    Last edited by Mr. Tea; 18-09-2017 at 09:41 AM.

Is 'cultural Marxism' a real thing? Does anyone described themselves as a cultural Marxist?

What I mean is: is there a real idea - perhaps an obscure concept of interest to a few left-wing philosophy professors - which the alt-right has blown up into this great existential threat to Western civilization, or have they conjured a bogeyman completely out of thin air?
    Of course it's a "real thing" just as much as the "Alt-right" is a real thing, meaning those "concepts" are floating around and resonate within certain groups - and sometimes break into the mainstream/mass consciousness.

"Cultural Marxism" is actually quite an old concept dating back (at least in the German speaking world where I have some knowledge) to the aftermaths of WW1 (possibly even the second half of the 19th century) used by right wingers of different kinds to describe an assault on traditional values connected to ideas like Nation (race) and a connected culture (and religion), the arts etc. Things like modern art, atheism, the rejection of traditional marriage/sex-life, Jazz were seen as the "cultural" expression/branch of the communist assault on "the old world" basically.

Yeah yeah yeah I get that, but I'm interested in whether anyone calls themselves a cultural Marxist, or says "I am involved in cultural Marxism and it is a good thing" (in the same way people identify as being part of the alt-right, for example). I'm well aware it's a term of abuse among the right.

No-one says "I am an Islamofascist", but it's a derogatory term for militant Salafism/Wahhabism, and people (whole states, even) do identify as Salafist.