Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: vimothy and the alt right

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post
    Yeah yeah yeah I get that, but I'm interested in whether anyone calls themselves a cultural Marxist, or says "I am involved in cultural Marxism and it is a good thing" (in the same way people identify as being part of the alt-right, for example). I'm well aware it's a term of abuse among the right.
    No of course not. Except for a few odd (or not so odd) individuals nobody calls themselves Marxist today either.

But then, what is being ment by "Cultural Marxism" today to begin with? Who is being assaulted by being called that way?

Usually it's being political activists/artists/leftist college professors being called "Cultural Marxists". "Cultural Marxism" is being understood by the right-wingers as a basic rejection of "Western" ideas (usually not defined properly/in a sloppy way).

There are people born/raised/educated in the West rejecting those vague values. They are the right wingers targets in that regard, and usually call themselves "progressives", but not "Cultural Marxists". So, a self-designation as "Cultural Marxists" doesn't exist, at least not to my knowledge.
    Last edited by firefinga; 18-09-2017 at 09:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by firefinga View Post
    Except for a few odd (or not so odd) individuals nobody calls themselves Marxist today either.
    More than you might think!

Quote Originally Posted by john eden View Post
    I mean, I am a boring marxist...
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Quote Originally Posted by firefinga View Post
    There are people born/raised/educated in the West rejecting those vague values. They are the right wingers targets in that regard, and usually call themselves "progressives", but not "Cultural Marxists". So, a self-designation as "Cultural Marxists" doesn't exist, at least not to my knowledge.
    OK, that's more or less what I thought.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

People might not call themselves "cultural marxists" but that is basically what Gramsci was on about, no?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antonio_Gramsci#Hegemony

5. The Following User Says Thank You to john eden For This Useful Post:

Interesting, thanks.

Thing is, some of the stuff that these right wing conspiracists are on about is real.

There was a "long march through the institutions" which aimed at a left wing cultural hegemony. If you pick a university lecturer at random they are quite likely to be left wing or liberal.

LGBT+ people have engaged in campaigning around normalising homosexuality etc.

And to some extent these have been victories. (In other areas less so - why was higher education such fertile ground for this stuff in a way that factories, warehouses and call centres don't seem to have been?)

But obviously conspiracy theory is the wrong way to look at this (perhaps with the exception of things like the Living Marxism/Spiked cult: http://www.lobbywatch.org/profile1.asp?PrId=78 )

What these things are, are social movements. In the same way that the alt-right is a social movement which is trying to establish its own cultural hegemony.

Ha, Spiked! If ever there was a case to be made for the horseshoe theory...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post
    Ha, Spiked! If ever there was a case to be made for the horseshoe theory...
    Well there is a more marxist explanation, which is that the RCP was always prone to contrarianism (headlines like "World War Two - who won?"), was always elitist and based in universities (you had to pass an exam to join) etc. And class will out.

Quote Originally Posted by john eden View Post
    Well there is a more marxist explanation, which is that the RCP was always prone to contrarianism (headlines like "World War Two - who won?"), was always elitist and based in universities (you had to pass an exam to join) etc. And class will out.
    They're kind of an irrelevant group, though - I mean, everything they've done since Blood Sugar Sex Magic has been shite, let's face it.
    Last edited by Mr. Tea; 20-09-2017 at 12:30 PM.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr. Tea For This Useful Post:

A lot of info here.

https://alternativeright.hopenothate...onal-alt-right

Its as tawdry and repulsive as you'd expect.

Quote Originally Posted by droid View Post
    A lot of info here.

https://alternativeright.hopenothate...onal-alt-right

Its as tawdry and repulsive as you'd expect.
    Pfffft.

Not 'alt right' exactly - although I appreciate the irony that 'alt' is German for 'old' - but AfD got 13% over the weekend.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/ng...-bundestag-afd

Doesn't sound like a huge percentage, but it makes them the third-biggest party. Notable that their core vote is in the old DDR, although I dunno whether that has more to do with the partition of the country or simply because that's where most immigrants are entering.