kurupt fm - people just do nothing

rubberdingyrapids

i saw a bit of this before, but have only recently started watching it properly. if you were ever into garage rap/grime, i cant imagine you wouldnt like it.

at first i thought this was your standard british tv/film industry treatment of anything to do with rap (ie like donk and scorsayzee by shane meadows, where he revealed himself to be a cunt), but its actually quite affectionately done, though you do think the guys in it were obviously proper garage wannabes at one point (their 2002-era flows are too era-perfect), but must have decided a better way to get some exposure would be to send it up, rather than try and do it proper, most people in england having a 'lol, URBAN MUSIC' attitude etc.

anyway, yeah, its funny.

ive not read up much on it, so i dont know whether kurupt fm was ever a real thing, but i saw one piece where they were doing a night at a london club and inviting guys like sticky to play, so their hearts are in the right place.

luka

I watched the first two series. They're good although I'm ambivalent about the boundaries blurring to the point that they get rave bookings etc. MC grindah retweeted my 1001 song playlist but I had to bully him into it.

luka

Although as you say it's abundantly obvious that those lads or at least Grinder were quite heavily invested in the scene.

rubberdingyrapids

theyre basically like the david brents of garage (i think ricky gervais is taking his current mock-rock songs on tour around the country).

im waiting for this dramedy format to die.

Last edited:

hucks

Your Message Here
theyre basically like the david brents of garage (i think ricky gervais is taking his current mock-rock songs on tour around the country).

im waiting for this dramedy format to die.

It's produced by Ash Atalla who produced The Office and some of it is very David Brent. The relationship between Beats and Grinder is like Gareth and Brent - Beats is the only one who doesn't see Grinder's flaws.

I watched the episode the other night where they go to the record company. The A&R guy recognises them and says, oh aren't you the People Just do Nothing guys? or something similar. So, what is that universe? One where PJDN is a serious documentary? Or is this some 4th wall breaking nonsense? I'd far rather it was the former tbh, but, not to miss the point entirely, where has the A&R guy seen them? Is PJDN on BBC 3 still? Is there BBC 3 still?

rubberdingyrapids

It's produced by Ash Atalla who produced The Office and some of it is very David Brent. The relationship between Beats and Grinder is like Gareth and Brent - Beats is the only one who doesn't see Grinder's flaws.

I watched the episode the other night where they go to the record company. The A&R guy recognises them and says, oh aren't you the People Just do Nothing guys? or something similar. So, what is that universe? One where PJDN is a serious documentary? Or is this some 4th wall breaking nonsense? I'd far rather it was the former tbh, but, not to miss the point entirely, where has the A&R guy seen them? Is PJDN on BBC 3 still? Is there BBC 3 still?

yeah i didnt understand that part either. though ive not been watching the whole thing so wasnt sure if the concept was that they were part of a documentary series that others have been watching all this time, and we are just watching this docu being made, though in that case, shouldnt we be seeing other people filming them?

IdleRich

IdleRich
In The Office in the first episode they said they were making a documentary and so you are supposed to imagine that there is a camera there, but they really kinda forgot about that as far as I can tell as the episodes went on, to me it felt as though they sometimes remembered it and paid lip service to that idea or did a joke based on it. I think PJDN is very inspired by The Office (they acknowledge that I believe) and they seem so in debt to it that they've even followed it in not quite being sure about whether or not they want it to be a documentary about them or not (although you do get those little interviews interspersed with the action). In other words I'm not quite sure what was going on in the record company scene, I guess it makes sense in their heads but to the viewer it's pretty confusing.

crofton

there is an interview with them which talks about it originally being a thing on youtube and then it got picked up for bbc3 so they had to tone down all the swearing and so forth, iirc, but maybe idrc.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Just started watching the third series (not seen it before). I laughed a lot although I do wonder how much mileage this format has got left in it. Some of the scenes with Chabuddy G went a liiitle too far into the realms of out-and-out cringe, I thought.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Just started watching the third series (not seen it before). I laughed a lot although I do wonder how much mileage this format has got left in it. Some of the scenes with Chabuddy G went a liiitle too far into the realms of out-and-out cringe, I thought.

i'd never seen it before and watched the first ep of the 3rd series. thought it was terrible tbh - the interviews they do are much funnier - can only presume the first series must be much better.

Last edited:

petergunn

plywood violin
i'd never seen it before and watched the first ep of the 3rd series. thought it was terrible tbh - the interviews they do are much funnier - can only presume the first series must be much better.

the first series has more jokes directly based on pirate radio, by the 3rd one, you're laughing at the roles the character's have established... i liked the 3rd series tho, less focus on Grindah and Beats and more on Steves and Chabuddy... it's not a perfect show, but am i really gonna get to chuckle at inside jokes about garage and pirate radio anywhere else?

Ach!

Turd on the Run
Yea, I remember finding this out before they got the BBC show. I find their whole thing very conflicting (life in my late teens / early 20s was in part quite similar), although admittedly funny - Beats has got great comedy timing.

Last edited:

Leo

I missed this thread entirely at the time, just stumbled across the first series last night and find it to be pretty hilarious. I'm sure they end up jumping the shark in subsequent series but the first one is well done.

apparently they're toying with the idea of an American remake, set in Las Vegas (I'm guessing the EDM scene). but we've got no history of pirate radio here, so the concept and story lines would have to change dramatically.

version

The webisodes and first two series are decent, but it loses its charm as it goes along and really starts to wear thin by the fourth.